• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

scott 222 recap issues

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gents,

I recently purchased my first hifi project - a Scott 222a. I have done alot of tweaking of pro audio gear for micpres, but am having an issue with this unit - still somewhat of a newbie on a hifi amp- prob just lucky with past mods.

Upon getting this amp, it sounded ok but very dark - severely rolled off up top. Went about replacing electrolytics as well as swapping orange drops for important caps. After doing some replacement, I had a horrible 120hz hum mostly out of one channel but not dependant on volume. When balance was centered it often was a thumping sound that seemed to only be a tube problem. Saw some blue lightning in a tube and it corresponded to sound when pot was centered. Swapped tube and phase splitter tubes and still same issue

After encountering this, I removed all new electrolytics and resoldered to old parts making sure hookups were identical - took multiple pics before touching anything. The problem still remained. I did not swap out the 716p's.

I've checked over and over the wiring for the caps I replaced - don't know - could changing coupling caps etc result in a 2xAC hum throughout?

I'm normally accustomed to a 2 tube micpre and haven't discovered this issue before.

Many thanks, Nathan

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
TubeHead Johnny said:
There is no bias supply in this amp, it's cathode biased. When you swapped the tubes, did the hum go from one channel to another? First thing I would do is check all the voltages against the schematic at this link:

http://www.hhscott.com/pdf/fs/222A-C1.JPG

Interesting, and a good catch, the only other one I knew of heretofore was the 99 which used cathode bias and a somewhat similar scheme to power the filaments in the low level stages.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.