How much weight can the Hammond chassis hold? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th January 2008, 03:06 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default How much weight can the Hammond chassis hold?

Hi all,

I'm considering using the Hammond Aluminium chassis 17" x 10" x 3" for an EL34 SE project using Hammond iron. Will the chassis be able to take the weight of 2 Hammond SE OPT's, one power transformer and one choke?
Old 20th January 2008, 03:49 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

While I've used many chassis just like this made by Bud and Premier, but never the Hammond brand, it should work well. It helps to keep the transformers near the corners or edges for better support. If you should find that the top wants to sag a little bit from the weight, a length of aluminum angle bolted underneath works well to stiffen the chassis top.

By this I mean a long length of 1x1 inch by 1/8 inch thick 90 angle stock running along under the transformers. I use the transformer bolts ot secure it so as not to make extra holes. This aluminum can also serve as a heat sink for any transistors or regulators I might use in the heater supplies or elsewhere.

Victor
Old 20th January 2008, 04:41 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer to not have to use the kind of support structure you mentioned. Do you think that a steel chassis would work better? Also could you please send me a link for the premier chassis you mentioned?

Regards,
Jason.
Old 20th January 2008, 05:05 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

The Hammond chassis will hold them, but they are generally pretty flimsy. I don't use them anymore FWIW.
Old 20th January 2008, 05:12 AM   #5
G is offline G  United States
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by aletheian
The Hammond chassis will hold them, but they are generally pretty flimsy. I don't use them anymore FWIW.

What do you use now?
Old 20th January 2008, 05:21 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by G

What do you use now?

You want the embarrassing truth: there is a restraunt supply store across the street that sells custom-size baking pans made of nice thick-gauge aluminum with fully welded seams and right-angle sides: you would never know of their culinary origins if you were not told. And to boot, they are about half the price of a Hammond chassis and no shipping (which is nice since the number of amps I have done has recently topped 80).
Old 20th January 2008, 05:28 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

For economy nice ready to go chassis, check these out:
http://www.par-metal.com/

and the ebay store for them:

Ebay Store
Old 20th January 2008, 05:28 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by audio_moksha
Hi Victor,

Thanks for the reply. I would prefer to not have to use the kind of support structure you mentioned. Do you think that a steel chassis would work better? Also could you please send me a link for the premier chassis you mentioned?

Regards,
Jason.
I don't know if Premier is still in business. I couldn't find them with a quick search. Both Bud and Premier may be gone and I probably shouldn't have mentioned them for that reason. I have many blank chassis that I bought quite a while ago and have kept for my own use. Also many 1/8 inch thick rack panels of various sizes. Most of these came from hamfest flea markets over the years.

Victor
Old 20th January 2008, 06:45 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Hi,

I've never used Hammond aluminum chassis, but checked them out in the stores. Too soft, too flimsy, IMO, especially for the coin they want. The Chinese import chassis the store had was twice as sturdy for 1/2 the price. That should say something...

Cheers!
Old 20th January 2008, 11:51 AM   #10
diyAudio Member

I think the Hammonds are pretty thin. You could go with their steel chassis, which is stronger, but steel is harder to work.

I liked using a plain 1/8" thick aluminum plate. It's easy to drill and can hold at least twenty pounds of transformers.

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

Hide this!Advertise here!