• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

300B shootout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
You'll need a mercury vapor diffusion pump along with a multi-stage reciprocating (piston pump) to pull the vacuum levels required, an rf heater to drive gas off of the electrodes and some sort of getter I would guess.

Some of this stuff needs to handled pretty carefully.. Take a look at this video - if you can do most of this stuff you should also be able to repair old tubes:

http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/01/make_your_own_vaccum_tube.html

I will look and see what I have..

Fine video

Kevin

Thanks for the video, very interesting.
Really I need this equipaments and I will find.
It is a experience, but I have big interest in obtain goods results.
The RF equipament do not is a problem, the major difficulty is the pump. I need a powered pump for a good vaccum.
Thanks for the help and the tubes.( if you find, call me)

My e-mail is: aldovanr@yahoo.com.br

Aldovan

Aldovan,

The 300B uses a dark filament which has an emissive coating just like indirectly heated cathode tubes. As I understand it, as soon as the filament coating is exposed to air it will be poisoned and will not recover in a bakeout + evacuation process. Going to thoriated tungsten filament heater wire may be the solution. It will look nicer when operating (bright yellow white) but may change the tube`s heater voltage spec.

If you overcome that obstacle then you also need to be able to install a freshly charged getter and be able to flash it during the final stages of the remanufacture of the tube.

Good luck.

I have a Edwards oil diffusion pump and mechanical backing pump which would do you but I suspect unfortunately that you are too far from me to pick it up.

Re: pump

aldovan said:
Bob

I have thoriated tungsten filament and I will use it.
Thanks for the pump, but I live in Brazil, very far.
Do you live in Ontario ? I love Ontario and Canada.

Thanks,

Aldovan

I think you will be able to find a pump much closer to home. If you can, get a Turbo Molecular Pump! No having to fool with oil or Hg. Are you planning on using a LN2 cold trap?

Yes I am in southern Ontario. I love Canada but not the cold winters and snow. Never been to Brazil. I hear it is nice and warm! I have purchased some Selenium loudspeaker drivers made in your country.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.