• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Replacing 5-pin DIN inputs on a Telefunken Radio? +weird speaker output?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi!

My name is Geir Helgi and I live in the good city, Reykjavík, Iceland :)
I went to an antique dealer today and found a great old Telefunken (5x)Tube Radio for $50..
I bought it because it's got inputs for a phonogram and those old portable reel to reel's (A.K.A. Magnetophones?)..
(The inputs are like a MIDI input or DIN, so it's 5 tilted pins in a half-ring and one hole in the middle..)
And it also has a seperate speaker output, with the weirdest plug I've ever seen (one boxed hole in the middle and a smaller "flattened-oval" beneath)

I want to feed something trough the radio and back out, into something else, so the audio travels through the tubes..

So my question is can I get some adapters (that would be the easiest way) or can I swap them out for RCA inputs, 1/4" Jacks, etc.?
If I can, how do I wire them?
I need one of the inputs (either Phono or Magneto) and that speaker output..
It also has ceramic inputs for the antenna and something else (ground?)

Anyways, here are some pics I found on the net:
http://users.telenet.be/on1aht1/radio/Telefunken_Rhytmus_S1264/Telefunken_Rhytmus_S1264.htm

and here's a picture that I've marked:
1: Phonogram
2: Port. Reel To Reel / Magnetophone
3: External Speaker Output
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

thanks a ton in advance!

-Geir Helgi

Colt45 said:
Should be able to get 5pin DIN connectors anywhere...

The output connector is DIN too. I usually see them on german car stereos...

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6f/Speaker_din_male_and_female.jpg

OH MY GOD! :D
That's the one, pheeew, I thought it was some special, ancient WWII Telefunken plug :)
thanks a million tons man!
I'll head over to some electronics shops and see if I can find those plugs.

Lifesaver!
here's a some money for you :)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

hey,
thanks for the replies, I appreciate it!

I went to a parts store and bought one of these:
http://www.vivanco.de/cgi-bin/vivanco/en_US/productDetail.html?productId=4545&catId=0
I didn't know that the Magnetophone/Reel input was in+out! :eek:
that's awesome!

I bought a 2pin DIN speaker cable "head" so I can wire it to a bigger system/speakers

anyways, thanks a ton you guys, you helped a lot!
especially you charles, offering a DIN plug :)
thanks!

-Geir Helgi

ok, a small update :)

I tried to connect my computer to the radio via the rca->din adapter and I got sound!
but it's very, very, very low.. "turntable-without-a-mixer-low":D hehe

so I have to amplify the signal before it goes in?
how do I re-amp line level to "magnetophon"level?

also, I tried the output of the vivanco through the magnetophon output and didn't get anything, can it be that the telefunken is mono (i.e. only in?)

another question:
I'm thinking this nice telefunken is too nice to "mod"
so I'm gonna head to the fleamarket and goodwill to see if I can find a "crappier" one :)

here's what I'm thinking:
source/cd-player/ipod/instrument/what ever -> tube radio -> mixer/amplifier = digital stuff gone through analog tubes and stuff (i.e. the horrible word "warmed" up :D)..

is this possible?
would I have to seriously mod the board inside the radio to achieve this?

Dear Helgi

Your Telefunken is Mono although it has the 5-pin Din connectors.
Nevertheless it should play very well on a pc-soundcard if you press the "TA" bottom.
I think you just hit the wrong pin with the adapter wire.

TheTellis output-signal on the 5-pin Din-outlet is very low,
connect it to the Microfon-Input of your soundcard.

Have Fun !

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.