Review of New S-5 K-16LS Kit - Page 16 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th December 2012, 11:14 PM   #151
diyAudio Member

I just bought and built this kit as well. I built it stock with the exception of using Orange Drops for the coupling caps and putting snubbers across the filament pins of all tubes. I also twisted the filament wires from the power transformer to the baord (as directed in the instructions). This amp sounds great and there is no hum what so ever. I plan on upgrading the OPTs to the EDCOR CXPP25-8-5k and changing out the rectifier to four UF4007 diodes with cap/resistor snubbers across each one. I would also like to try a UL configuration with the new EDCOR OPT - has anyone tried this? HOw did it work?
Old 21st January 2013, 04:41 PM   #152
diyAudio Member

Thank you all for this excellent thread. I have built two amp kits already and just ordered the 16LS today. I'm going to be putting in the larger electrolytic cans (getting quality ones too), doing orange drop caps and the good mica caps. A couple of questions:

1. I am going to be running 4 ohm speakers with this. I hear the output transformers included with the kit are crap. The Edcor iron recommended in this thread is for 8 ohm output. Does anyone have a usable 4 ohm quality transformer for this application?

2. Are there any tube upgrades? Some other beam tetrode that is more powerful or better sounding?

Thanks for your help.

Also - I've been looking at the Edcor CXPP30-MS-5K as a replacement to run 4 ohm speakers, would this work?

Last edited by venturasurf; 21st January 2013 at 04:49 PM.
Old 23rd January 2013, 01:02 AM   #153
diyAudio Member

The Edcor CXPP30-MS-5K should work fine. On my K16 I upgraded the coupling caps to Orange Drops and the PS caps to JJ caps. I am not sure the ODs helped any but the amp is very quiet with no noise or hum so i am very happy with the power supply. I do not know of any upgrade to the power stage tubes but these in the kit are fine at normal listening volumes. Turn it up however and you will hear the distortion - past 12:00 is not good. Overall it was a good kit to start with but left me looking for more. So now I am in the process of building the Podwatt 2C DIY now. A bit less power in theory but I think it will sound much better when done.

My speakers are Nuance Series 5 units with 89 dB/w sensitivity and the listening area is not large ~120 sq ft.
Old Yesterday, 04:58 AM   #154
joshrd is offline joshrd  Canada
diyAudio Member

Hi everyone,

I know I'm resurrecting an old thread, but my friend is having issues with his K-16LS amplifier. There is a constant buzz on the left channel -- even if there is no input -- and a slight buzz on the right channel.

I'm fairly familiar with electronics, although my tubes knowledge needs brushing up.
There seems to be a steady buzz out of the left channel. I suspected it was a faulty output transformer, but after swapping it with the right channel, the buzz persisted. However, touching the transformer chassis reduced the buzz.

The next thing I checked was the common grounds, and everything seemed to check out fine. (I didn't do an extensive check, due to time).

Finally, I'd arrived at the input transformer, which is where I'm at now. Is it possible that one of the HV caps (c10, c11) is kaput and is causing the buzz? I haven't tried removing/replacing it yet? I am also hoping to add VoltSecond's mod before the rectifier circuit.

Any help/reading material would be useful and appreciated.
Old Yesterday, 11:01 PM   #155
diyAudio Member

What is the size of the PCB ?
And what size enclosure / wood frame are you using ?
What's size frame / enclosure if you are using their tone control or pre-amp ?

Thanks, Kevin
Old Yesterday, 11:03 PM   #156
diyAudio Member

What is the size of the PCB ?
What size enclosure or wood frame is everyone using ?
What size if using the preamp or tone control ?

Hide this!Advertise here!