Review of New S-5 K-16LS Kit - Page 14 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th July 2011, 10:25 AM   #131
diyAudio Member

Default Grounding

Hi
Can i use common Ground for the anp, RIAA and input selector? Im having a bit trouble with hf noise.....

Thanx for a great forum. Im new into tubes.

Thanx and have a Nice day

Regards d.Loncar
Old 12th September 2011, 10:25 AM   #132
andrejg is offline andrejg  Slovenia
diyAudio Member

a few photos of my k-16ls build:

Click the image to open in full size.

the only thing i'm not really satisfied with are the mid-tones, which sound somewhat murky on all the speakers i've tried. i'll have to see if there are any mods to improve them.

edit: the forum software seems to be messing the links to the higher resolution photos :P.

Last edited by andrejg; 12th September 2011 at 10:50 AM.
Old 21st March 2012, 02:05 PM   #133
Bake986 is offline Bake986  United States
diyAudio Member

Hello,

I am new to this forum and just bought this kit.

I really enjoyed reading this thread and am planning on doing many of the mods discussed.

I already ordered the larger power supply caps, and an Alps 100K stereo pot.

I would really like to upgrade the transformers as well. What transformers did you folks use? What are the specs for the power transformer?

I am thinking about making the power supply "semi-external" as well. Basically putting the power transformer and bridge in a separate box and running the leads to the board on a mil spec connector.

Also, what are the ratings on the output transformers? Any recommendations for upgrades?

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but it is certainly a GOOD one!

Thank you for all the helpful information!

Andrew
Old 2nd May 2012, 01:07 PM   #134
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake986 View Post
I would really like to upgrade the transformers as well. What transformers did you folks use? What are the specs for the power transformer?
I used Hammond 1645 output transformers; you have to take care to connect them correctly, though. You have to wire the secondary connections to 4 Ohm (see schematic on hammondmfg.com - bridge the green/yellow wire to the green one and the black wire to the black/yellow one. The Green/Yellow wire then goes to S1 on the PCB and the black wire goes to S2.

As for the primary winding - as far as I recall I connected the red wire to Ct, the brown wire to P1 and the blue wire to P2. If the amplifier starts oscillating (has positive feedback instead of negative) just switch the blue and brown wires - Andy Marsden has been instrumental in figuring this out .

I think i just snipped the extra wires that weren't needed, but i'd have to check.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bake986 View Post
I am thinking about making the power supply "semi-external" as well. Basically putting the power transformer and bridge in a separate box and running the leads to the board on a mil spec connector.

Also, what are the ratings on the output transformers? Any recommendations for upgrades?
I use the stock power transformer - I just put it in an aluminium enclosure from vt4c.com; the CH-TC-100AL-B.

I thought about purchasing the Edcor XPWR058 (I read somewhere that it is also a drop-in replacement), but shipping it to Europe would cost more than the transformer itself. I couldn't find anyone selling Edcor transformers in the EU.

I also have a question:

I have a hum at just above 63Hz. It is audible when you're near the speaker, but inaudible at the listening point. XTZ's room analyzer picks it up in it's waterfall graph, I think:

The buzzing is present no matter how I connect the amplifier. I live in an old (~40 years) apartment building and all the wall (schuko) sockets have the ground pins connected to the neutral pins. Redoing the electricity is out of the question, since the wiring would have to be replaced in the whole building.

My question is simple (): how to get rid of it or at least alleviate it?
Old 16th June 2012, 07:02 AM   #135
diyAudio Member

That is an awesome case, did you make it yourself?
Old 2nd August 2012, 03:44 PM   #136
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcoben View Post
That is an awesome case, did you make it yourself?
thanks .
i had the top part milled at schaeffer-ag.de. everything else i made myself (from some cheap wooden fence posts bought at the local hardware store ).
Old 7th August 2012, 12:49 PM   #137
diyAudio Member

Default my 16 ls

I built this kit awhile ago and I love it. My best mods are the Edcor OPTs and the 6by5ga tube rectifiers. I also upgraded all the caps to orange drops. The sound is awesome through a pair of Polk T-15 bookshelf speakers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tubes.jpg (444.7 KB, 188 views)
Old 7th August 2012, 01:42 PM   #138
diyAudio Member

what is the transformer name (type)?
sound interestnig with tube rectifier. can u share your schematic for that?

br d.loncar
Old 7th August 2012, 01:57 PM   #139
TheGimp is offline TheGimp  United States
diyAudio Member

andrejg,

If you are using SS rectification you might try a snubber (10nF cap in series with a 10R resistor) across each diode.

The resistor value may need to be adjusted up to achieve best suppression of switching noise.
Old 7th August 2012, 02:41 PM   #140
diyAudio Member

Default 16ls OPT

The OPTs are Edcor CXPP25 8 5K. Push-pull type 5K ohm primary, 8 ohm secondary rated for 25 watts. This really helped the low end because the stock OPTs are rather cheap and puny.

Will draw up a schematic for tube rectifier later and post.

Hide this!Advertise here!