• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Speaker connect: Speakon or banana

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
My Fellow tube Designers,

What is your experience with Neutrik Speakons to connect your OP transformers to your beloved speakers?

I have been quite tempted to use them, instead of these straight bananas. Which if I am not mistaken is now prohibited on commercial audio systems in Europe.

The Speakon contacts are solid silver rated at 30A.
It would certainly look more professional.

Unless I find a fitter-turner who can make me solid-silver 4mm bananas.

Care to comment? Thank you.

Serge
:cool:

Serge66 said:
<snip>
... instead of these straight bananas. Which if I am not mistaken is now prohibited on commercial audio systems in Europe.

I have the 2008 catalog of Tangent and Dali (both Danish), and their speakers have two-way binding posts for accepting banana and spade. The Tangent amps and integrateds also have binding posts for their amplifiers.

:confused:

I don't know the legal situation, but neither Dali nor Tangent produce 'commercial' equipment - both these companies make residential kit.

I work in pro AV and most manufacturers (speaker and amp) now use speakon.

I use speakons on all diy amps and speakers. The connection is 100% reliable, doesn't reduce sound quality in any perceivable way, has strain relief for the cable and uses the same size cut-out as a neutrik chassis XLR.

I'll never go back to old-school binding posts ;-)

I use Speakons for my PA rig where they are constantly being removed and replugged night after night and i have never had a failure! They are on just about every pro amp these days but I have not seen them used on High end audio gear.

The Biggest problem i have had with them is finding the dang .187 width crimp lugs to fit the chassis connectors. They can be found in the blue 16-14ga but not the Yellow 12-10ga connectors and it seems most companies have stopped making them. Molex still has them listed as 19017-0051 but i cant find anyone that stocks or sells them.
the .250 size being the more popular. but the .250 crimps will not fit the chassis connectors properly.

However, Neutrik now has a 40amp rated chassis version with .250 tabs on the back of the chassis connectors! now any standard .250 quick release lug/tabs will work! AMEN!

I use speakon connectors for a PSU I have for experimenting simple circuits with. They're great.

I hope to build a power amp soon, probably a four channel chipamp to start and I'll be using speakons without a doubt.
Also, if you're biamping (or triamping - I think Neutrik do a 6 way don't they?) it makes plugging in the speakers foolproof.

I think the Speakons work fine on stuff that's plugged and unplugged a lot but for an amp that's connected all the time I would go for a binding post connection.

Speakons are pretty reliable and I've only had a few fail over the years. They will either break off a contact down inside of them or they will get loose and start to become intermittent.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.