My New EL84 PP - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 8th January 2008, 09:27 PM   #1
Sherman is offline Sherman  United States
diyAudio Member

Smile My New EL84 PP

Some of you may remember a while back I was experimenting with transformers as phase splitters. I eventually ordered a pair of PSA-2N phase splitters from Electra-Print. They are actually autoformers rather than transformers.

I decided to try them in a PP EL84 amp. Jack has a schematic for one on his site but I decided to roll my own. See attached schematic.

I finally got to the stage where I can test the amp. I'm "borrowing" a power supply from another amp since my new PTX isn't here yet. The B+ I'm getting from the borrowed PS is perfect for the new amp, I just had to drop in an additional RC filter to obtain the B2+ for the input stage. Attached is the PS schematic I'm using now. The new PS will be similar except it will use a 5AR4 and electrolytics rather than motor runs for the caps. (No room in the chassis for the big motor runs.)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84_pp_autoformer.jpg (26.9 KB, 1623 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 09:28 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Here is the PS I'm testing it with. The actual PS will be similar.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84_pp_autoformer _ps.jpg (20.8 KB, 1159 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 09:30 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Here is the topside. Keep in mind the PTX and 5AR4 are yet to be mounted. The chokes will mount on the underside. The cage over the OPTs is a wire basket from Container Store (about $4 IIRC) held down with a couple of plastic wire routing tabs.

Front-
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84_pp_front.jpg (73.7 KB, 1241 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 09:32 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Back-

I put the inputs on the back. I like the front to look clean with only an On/Off switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84_pp_back.jpg (85.3 KB, 1081 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 09:36 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Inside-

The autoformer phase splitters are mounted between the turret board and the back of the amp. They are immediately below the OPTs, probably not the best place but I can't hear any hum so I may not move them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg el84_pp_inside.jpg (97.3 KB, 1167 views)
Old 8th January 2008, 10:36 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Nice design. I think transformers/chokes as phase splitters makes a lot more sense than more tubes. Seems much more elegant to me.

You might try replacing the resistor plate load with a simple CCS -- performance will likely go up and the need for large electrolytics and the extra filter stage to drop voltage will go down. I think there is plenty of space on the side for some motor runs.

-d
Old 9th January 2008, 02:42 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Thanks,
I think the autoformers are a nice solution, no extra tube sockets, lower demands on the PS, easy to implement. I'm tempted to try a pair in a PP KT88 amp.

I have some of the Forum CCS boards, I'll have to look into that. Would a current source (plate load) be better case than a current sink after the cathode?

I've also thought about removing the cathode bias on the EL84s and going with fixed bias. I'd have to do a voltage divider off the HT supply though since the PTX doesn't have a bias tap. Should be doable.

This is bad... thinking about mods and the amp isn't even completely finished yet!
Old 9th January 2008, 03:36 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Sherman
I have some of the Forum CCS boards, I'll have to look into that. Would a current source (plate load) be better case than a current sink after the cathode?
You want it as a plate load where it presents a super high impedance to the tube. With the 6N1p, you can run it at about 11mA and bias it with a red led (instead of the resistor/cap pair) which will also offer a nice performance bump.
Old 9th January 2008, 07:20 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
Nice design. I think transformers/chokes as phase splitters makes a lot more sense than more tubes. Seems much more elegant to me.

I agree. the circuit is pretty elegant. My only concern is the particular phase splitting autoformer chosen--- has only 10 henries of pri L on the driven half--- which will not provide much of a load impedance to the anode of the tube.

In defense of Jack at EP--- this unit (according to a spec sheet he used to have on line) was really designed to be driven by a cathode follower--- where the source impedance (i.e., the output impedance of the CF) is say a hundred or so ohms--- in which case 10 henries
(whose ind reactance at 20 hertz is approx 1250 ohms) would be perhaps a sufficiently high impedance---

but if the source impedance (the r sub p of your anode) is derived from the anode and it is several kilohms in magnitude--- that same 10 henries is not going to provide much of a load to the anode of the tube.

:::You might try replacing the resistor plate load with a simple CCS -- performance will likely go up and the need for large electrolytics and the extra filter stage to drop voltage will go down. I think there is plenty of space on the side for some motor runs.::::

it is a neat circuit--- and a builder could have several choices of how to load the anode---- with a resistor, a CCS, or a plate choke. But the achillles heel as drawn is the lack of L in the driven half of he autoformer.

This L will be in parallel with whatever is sitting on top of the anode---- so that 1250 ohms in parallel with a CCS is still going to be less than 1250 ohms effective impedance.

Of course as your frequency goes up--- so won't the inductive reactance of the autoformer's driven half.

but as is--- the limiting factor is going to bee the ten henries.

But--- I too like the circuit very much--- it conceptually very close to the SETH amp as shown on our forum at AA.

MSL
Old 9th January 2008, 09:28 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by MQracing
Quote:
Originally posted by dsavitsk
I agree. the circuit is pretty elegant. My only concern is the particular phase splitting autoformer chosen--- has only 10 henries of pri L on the driven half--- which will not provide much of a load impedance to the anode of the tube.
Probably worth a call to Jack. He is selling it as a plate load, and my experience is that model numbers don't mean a whole lot with him. He may have wound it differently than in the past, or just called it the wrong thing. Who knows. But, I'd give him a ring.

Hide this!Advertise here!