• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

pa amp distortion at low volume

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have been rebuilding an old fanon 65 watt pa amp and after recapping have serious distortion as soon as I try to turn it up. At about a quarter volume, the amp starts to distort quite bad and I don't seem to get any more volume no matter how high I turn it up. I am still learning and I don't have a schematic for it so I am just checking out what I know. the bias is ok and the tubes all test fine. I am wondering if I have an open cap or shorted resistor somewhere, I am just not sure what to test first. Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will try to be as informative as I can when describing what I find. thanks to all.

Best Regards

Brett

Hello,

I'm wondering if you have problems with the output transformer, in the past I had troubles with some amps distorting horribly and with low output volume, in all cases it turned out the output transformer was the culprit, having one side of the primary winding with shorted turns. An easy check is to measure the primary resistance between the center tap and each of the ends, a reading up to 10 - 15% of difference may be Ok.

Cheers

Giulio Maiocco

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.