Analog Metric grounded grid preamp kit - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2008, 12:33 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Analog Metric grounded grid preamp kit

I've ordered this kit from Analog Metric:

Grounded Grid preamp kit

This is my first attempt at a valve-based component (I've done lots of class-t amps, gainclones, dacs etc.).

I plan on changing the coupling caps to obbligatos. I also have some 100uF/1000V Russian metallized paper caps which could be used for the PSU. Would this be a worthwhile upgrade over electrolytics?

The Russian caps are huge and would be tricky to house, but I'm happy to do this if they will be the better option.

Thanks in advance & happy New Year :-)
Old 2nd January 2008, 01:07 PM   #2
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Is this design actually licensed from the designer or is it just stolen?

edit: After poking around, it appears that this outfit is stealing trademarks and designs from a variety of sources. I would encourage people NOT to do any business with them. It's immoral, and given the appearance of the stuff, probably not very smart, either.
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:31 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Is this the same circuit as the Transcendent Sound GG preamp?

I (perhaps wrongly) assumed that they were similar, but I didn't think this was a blatant copy...
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:33 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Yes, the pc board in the pic has a legend from DIYZONE, also not known for their honesty. If they rip off designers they may as well rip off buyers. You have been warned!

Jan Didden
Old 2nd January 2008, 02:36 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

It is indeed a blatant copy, including theft of trademarks; to make it worse, they also used the name of the guy they're stealing from to promote this.

I'm sorry, I won't help you with this and I hope that no-one else on this forum does, either. I'm no big fan of the designer, but he doesn't deserve to be ripped off and I won't help in the process.
Old 3rd January 2008, 01:31 AM   #6
Gordy is offline Gordy  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Hi sharpi31, it looks as though you are buying from a company happy to de-fraud the designer. That is very unfortunate, however if you want practical advice on the GG it can be found in Mr Rozenblit's book for £10, sent to you by e-mail...

http://www.transcendentsound.com/audioreality.htm

Some might say that it would help to even things up!
Old 18th November 2008, 07:59 PM   #7
wboyd is offline wboyd  United States
diyAudio Member

FWIW...

I purchased one of these from a seller on greEdBay about 3-4 years ago (not knowing what it was – blatant piracy, copyright infringement, etc). I think I paid somewhere around 45.00 us for it – it was basically complete minus a chassis and potentiometer. Well once I got it I realized what it was….and dropped it in my parts box - no real loss based on the price I paid.

A few years later ….probably around the time of this thread…

I was recently going through my parts (clearing some things out etc) and ran across it….I hooked it up and it sounded really good, so I decided to give it a go and see what happens. I changed a few capacitors (coupling capacitors – used Amp Ohm FP-CA-AU 630VDC – 5% tolerance), added a good quality pot, a Grayhill selector switch, some nice silver wire, and some Dayton Audio RCA connectors. Finally I built a nice wooden box for it (not quite complete) and stuck it all together. The results of this “parts box preamp” were pretty amazing. After the chassis is cleaned up and a few finishing touches are added I think this will make a nice little (if not cheap) preamp.

I do however want to stress that I do not claim anything on this project….because of the issues with AnalogMetric/DIY Zone and their blatant piracy of so many great products. So please do not flame me, I am just a lowly DIY’er trying to get good sound out of the stuff I have on hand.

I hope that I have not offended anyone by doing this…if I have…I apologize.
Wayne

Hide this!Advertise here!