Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Audio Measurements
Audio Measurements
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 2nd January 2008, 11:41 AM   #1
hotvalve is offline hotvalve  England
diyAudio Member

Default Audio Measurements

Greetings, and Happy New Year.

I hope you won't mind me asking, what do you guys use for measuring/plotting frequnecy response and measuring distortion?

I have an old Fluke 8060 DMM which had a dB function for measuring frequnecy response, but this has now given up the ghost, must be 20 years old.

I was wondering if you chaps use software and a PC?

Thinking about software got me thinking about PC distortion analysis.
What do you chaps use?

Your response will be greatly valued.
Old 2nd January 2008, 11:49 AM   #2
Ouroboros is offline Ouroboros  England
diyAudio Member

I use ARTA (the STEPS part of the program) both at work and at home for my own use. It is remarkable value for money! At work I'm only measuring amps and speakers for PA applications, so the built-in sound card on the test pc is adequate. At home I use the excellent M-Audio transit external USB audio interface.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:18 PM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
On Hiatus

Audio Measurements
Software and PC does a more-than-adequate job for most frequency response measurements involving tubes. An HP3581A or any good quality AC voltmeter and a function generator make a suitable backup. Function generators generally have mediocre distortion performance, but very, very flat frequency response.

For high frequency measurement where the sound card can't be used, a function generator and an oscilloscope will do, though for standard analog scopes, the results need to be recorded and plotted by hand.

For distortion analysis, it's hard to beat a good sound card. With an M-Audio 192 and AudioTester, I routinely measure THD to 0.001%.
Old 2nd January 2008, 12:25 PM   #4
jackinnj is offline jackinnj  United States
diyAudio Member

Audio Measurements
SY: Unfortunately the HP 3581 is getting difficult to source -- everyone found out how good they are.

GenRad also made a quite good wave analyzer -- and their stuff is first rate.

there is a first generation HP Wave Analyzer on EBay at the moment. probably a collectors item.
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:06 PM   #5
Bob Lee is offline Bob Lee  United States
diyAudio Member

My question is how to interface computer sound card to the device under measurement.

What is the "widget" that I need to interface between output transformer and sound card?
How about the "widget" between the output of a HV driver stage and sound card?
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:47 PM   #6
korneluk is offline korneluk  United States
diyAudio Member

As far as features and support is concerned, I can recommend WinAudioMLS by Dr. Jordan Design.

http://www.dr-jordan-design.de/WinAu...tails.htm#Amps

The Light and Pro versions of the program can usually be found discounted on Ebay.

-- josť k.
Old 2nd January 2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Svein_B is offline Svein_B  Norway
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ouroboros
I use ARTA (the STEPS part of the program)
And I mostly use the main ARTA program also for amplifier measurements (tone generator, distortion/spectrum analysis, and FR curves)

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob Lee
My question is how to interface computer sound card to the device under measurement.
The output from the soundcard fits (usually) directly to to the amp inputs. Use a preamp if levels are not suitable.

The output from the amp need to be adjusted by a voltage divider. Attached is an illustration from the ARTA/STEPS manual. Suitable ressitors might be 10K/1K. The zeners are optional for protection of the PC.
For my own use I have built this together with a 8/4 ohm load, with jacks for voltmeter, scope, and PC.

This circuit is suitable for measurement of amplifier output, but not for internal measurements (do not connect to the anode of a driver stage!).

A scope is still required to look at 10KHz square waves etc. PC soundards are usually limiting bandwidth to 20KHz.

Svein
Attached Images
File Type: gif probe.gif (7.5 KB, 585 views)
Old 11th January 2008, 05:27 PM   #8
Nicola is offline Nicola
diyAudio Member

Question Measurement software

Hi everybody,

I'm looking for a software to measure the delay from a listening point and each drivers from a 4 ways speakers.

Based on those measurements, the delay for each driver could be adjusted on the digital filter. This would allow to correctly set the phase, i.e the driver would be correctly alligned between each other.

I would like to know if anybody uses one and would recommend it. For example does ARTA does it.

Software which do it generates pink noise and measure the time / distance between a reference and the speaker driver

Thanks
Regards
Old 11th January 2008, 05:34 PM   #9
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

The Behringer DCX2496 digital active crossover has this measurement and compensation built in. You just plug a microphone into channel C and tell it to calibrate!
Old 12th January 2008, 09:44 PM   #10
Nicola is offline Nicola
diyAudio Member

Default Phase measurement and compensation

Quote:
Originally posted by EC8010
The Behringer DCX2496 digital active crossover has this measurement and compensation built in. You just plug a microphone into channel C and tell it to calibrate!
Looks a nice device. Thanks, unfortunately i already use a digital filter from (accuphase df35) where the automated delay calculation does not exist. That's the reason i'm looking for a software. Regards

Audio MeasurementsHide this!Advertise here!