• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Strange find.. help ID?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was given this old unit, was in the trash heap outside the science department of Whitman College in Walla Walla. Any idea what it is? Certainly is well built, nice construction all around. Pictures:
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/cwujek/100_0240.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/cwujek/100_0239.jpg
http://i72.photobucket.com/albums/i181/cwujek/100_0238.jpg

Has some decent audio tubes, GE 6V6 and 6L6 power tubes, and a few others. Iron looks good too. It has a lightbulb in the middle (?), and a strange looking transformer and two towers with round disks that I'm clueless about. Lots of connections on the back... Any help with identifying what this is would be great.

Lets see, found outside the science dept. My guess is that it is some type of servo controller, or possibly the drive unit for a shaker table. Maybe just a big power supply. It doesn't look military since there are none of the usual military markings, lables, etc. Electrolytic caps are rare in military stuff.

I would get the numbers off of all of the transformers and google them, type the UTC numbers into Ebay as well. If they are popular audio items you will find out what they are, and what they are worth. It looks like there is some potential audio application for most of these parts, you just need to find out what they are. The stacked disks are selenium rectifiers. Do not use them, they emit toxic fumes when they fail, and they all eventually fail. The stubby little metal tubes look like 6H6's, dual diodes similar to 6AL5's.

Tube lineup, in reference to this picture, starting at the bottom left going up.
100_0238.jpg

0A2
6V6GT
6SJ7
5YEGT
6SL6GT
6H6

Lightbulb :smash:

6N7GT/G
6N7GT/G
6SL7GT
6L6GC
6X5GT

6SL7GT
6SL7GT
6SN7GTB
6H6
6H6
6SL7GT

It does seem sort of like a military unit, although my guess is it's just a lab grade piece of some kind. Although there are those four large electrolytic caps, there's about 8 high voltage oil capacitors. The single potentiometer is a 2 watt sealed pot. Four UTC transformers, a matched pair of HA-106s, a single lighter colored HA-106, and a small S-3 transformers. Seems like some rather nice audio transformers. :) Time to gut it...

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The connectors in your photo are Cannon RK or Wk
series connectors, also known as RCA connectors..

You would probably be better off gutting this unit
and using the UTC transformers...And if you can
check out the unmarked ones you might have found
a goldmine in usable iron and parts...

Also agree with not using the old rectifiers...

Steve @ Apex Jr.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.