OEP input transformers. Anyone used ?? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st January 2008, 11:27 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default OEP input transformers. Anyone used ??

Has anyone tried these input/phase splitting transformers. They look a little marginal on the bottom end but otherwise they look OK and very reasonably priced.

http://www.oep.co.uk/HighPerformance...eprod-ID9.aspx

Shoog
Old 1st January 2008, 05:23 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

I did use some other transformer for inputting my power amplifier (1200Watt) but not this brand.
I made my own one because it had to drive 24 EL34's without any problem.
Old 1st January 2008, 05:32 PM   #3
dhaen is offline dhaen  Europe
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Shoog,

I have used various of these transformers for many years in broadcast applications (mainly in balancing and un-balancing applications) and found them faultless. You are likely to find the "bottom end" much better than their spec, since you are likely to be using them at much lower signal levels than they are rated for.
I'd recommend the optional mu-metal cover if used in equipment with EI mains transformers.
Old 1st January 2008, 05:48 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
I have used various of these transformers for many years in broadcast applications (mainly in balancing and un-balancing applications) and found them faultless. You are likely to find the "bottom end" much better than their spec, since you are likely to be using them at much lower signal levels than they are rated for.
I'd recommend the optional mu-metal cover if used in equipment with EI mains transformers.
Thats encouraging. Since there so cheap, and I have to place a Farnell order, I will probably go ahead and order a pair. If they don't match up I will get some Lundahl 's instead.

Shoog
Old 1st January 2008, 06:24 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

I've used the A262A3E in a my DIY mic pres together with the mu-metal can. I like them a lot, I think the OEP (company had a different name back then) input transformers were used in some high-class Neve studio consoles (I think it was Neve VR but I'm not 100% sure). Many folks at prodigy-pro.com/forum (The LAB) also like them a lot. They definitely have some "color" against the neutrality of Lundahl, so it also depends on your preferences whether you like them or not (give them a try anyway!).

Hide this!Advertise here!