• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Looking for big Ni lams

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
One can make big E lams out of doubled up U-I lams. And really big xfmrs are made exclusively with I lams.

(Which could be cut from a tape reel, plus a bolt hole puncher and hole alignment jig, and then you need to flatten them, maybe before cutting. Every other lam is overlapped in the stack to minimise gaps).

Just more stacking work.

You can also make E lam near equivalents by using two sets of cut cores. Might be interesting to use one M6 cut core and one Ni cut core.

Don

smoking-amp said:
One can make big E lams out of doubled up U-I lams. And really big xfmrs are made exclusively with I lams.

(Which could be cut from a tape reel, plus a bolt hole puncher and hole alignment jig, and then you need to flatten them, maybe before cutting. Every other lam is overlapped in the stack to minimise gaps).

Just more stacking work.

You can also make E lam near equivalents by using two sets of cut cores. Might be interesting to use one M6 cut core and one Ni cut core.

Don

I have a British output done like that. 4 C's arranged to give the same figure 8 magnetic path as E-I. Mixing the core material is just as easy to argue for as against IMO. I like the idea of homogeneous core assembly myself.

However, when making something *EXACTLY* like the originals one has little choice; include it, say it is left out, or commit fraud. I am preparing to do one of the first two since the third is already taken...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.