How to make non-polarized electrolytic cap? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 27th December 2007, 08:20 PM   #1
pftrvlr is offline pftrvlr  United States
diyAudio Member

Default How to make non-polarized electrolytic cap?

Which of the following is the corect/better way to connect two electrolytic cap to make it non-polarized?

1. neg-neg
2. pos-pos
3. neg-pos
Old 27th December 2007, 08:31 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

3. so to end up with two "double" leads
Old 27th December 2007, 08:42 PM   #3
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Depends on whether or not dc is present..

1 & 2 work fine with most polar caps when no dc is present or it is small relative to the cap voltage rating.

3 only works with new caps - as the caps age and esr increases you will eventually get to the point where the cap exhibits issues with reverse breakdown. There must be absolutely NO dc present. Truthfully I have never seen it done this way in commercial kit.

Frankly it would be better to use a non polar cap in the first place if a suitable value can be procured. Film caps are practical at low values, and much better performers.

Incidentally you should not use anything but a film cap or non polar EL in a speaker cross-over because of the currents involved. Nothing ruins your day quicker than an exploding EL non polar made this way - particularly when it takes that expensive vintage driver with it.
Old 27th December 2007, 08:58 PM   #4
gootee is offline gootee  United States
diyAudio Member

You can connect two identical electrolytics in series, with either both negative leads connected to each other, or, both positive leads connected to each other. Either way should give you a non-polarized cap that has half of the capacitance value of either of the two identical caps.
Old 27th December 2007, 09:03 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kevinkr

3 only works with new caps - as the caps age and esr increases you will eventually get to the point where the cap exhibits issues with reverse breakdown. There must be absolutely NO dc present. Truthfully I have never seen it done this way in commercial kit.

I have seen two polarised electrolytics used for DC blocking,(connected parallel nec-pos). In CD player outputs etc. Is this also bad practise ?

Thanks
Old 27th December 2007, 09:21 PM   #6
kevinkr is offline kevinkr  United States
diyAudio Moderator

Hi pikkujöpö,
Yeah, I would consider that to be bad practice, but I am assuming there was no dc voltage present at the output.

Here it is pretty common practice unfortunately to use just a single polar cap in such a situation, and that is not the best practice long term either if you want low distortion..

Any way you look at it, it's a cheap way out - I'd use a modestly priced non polar in all such cases.

Polar and non polar caps suffer dielectric degradation over time with no dc voltage impressed across them - this imo makes them unsuitable in my mind for any high quality application.
Old 28th December 2007, 06:41 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
You can connect two identical electrolytics in series, with either both negative leads connected to each other, or, both positive leads connected to each other. Either way should give you a non-polarized cap that has half of the capacitance value of either of the two identical caps.

Text book correct answer.

Hide this!Advertise here!