• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What dimensions for perforated AL sheet?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm trying to decide what type of perforated aluminum sheet to get that would handle the typical 1-1/8" and 1-1/2" mounting centers found on most tube sockets. I think what I want is 0.1875" holes with a 0.25" stagger. It's the "stagger" I don't get and can't seem to find any information on. Can anyone shed any light on this?

Here's a link to a typical ordering page:

http://www.onlinemetals.com/merchant.cfm?id=1003&step=2&top_cat=60

The holes in perforated sheets can be ordered as orthagonal or stagger.
Orthagonal means that the holes are laid out in straight rows and columns with each hole aligned with the one above and below it.
Stagger is when the holes are offset. The stagger dimension is the distance from the center of the hole to the center of the next hole. Stagger typically means a tighter hole spacing as each row or column can overlap the one above and below, which means greater ventilation capability.

OK, I think I get it. Looking at a few images online it looks like the holes are in a line in one direction meaning that I would have to tell the supplier which way to orient the sheet prior to cutting, depending upon which way I wanted the screws facing ..if I was that fussy. How big does the pilot hole have to be for most punches..?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.