diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   MOSFET follower driver oscillation (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/114276-mosfet-follower-driver-oscillation.html)

Sheldon 26th December 2007 07:48 PM

Mosfet follower driver oscillation
 
2 Attachment(s)
I've been using a DN2540 follower as a buffer/driver for an 801A2 amp. Recently, I wanted to see if replacing the source resistor with a CCS would make a difference. Not sure if I hear a difference yet, but I have observed that if I leave the input to the amp open, the bias on the output tube starts to go up quickly. Doesn't happen with the amp connected to a normal source or with the input shorted. I suspect that the DN2540/10m45S combo is oscillating when given a chance. I have a 670 Ohm stopper resistor on the gate of the 10m45. Maybe a higher value, or should I look at something else? Maybe the high value for the gate resistor from the 2540 to the bias supply is an issue? Or could the protection zener be a problem? Suggestions welcomed.

Sheldon

Fuling 26th December 2007 08:23 PM

The zener should be connected "outside" the gate stopper resistor.

Wavebourn 26th December 2007 09:12 PM

Also, I would move output tube bias trimpot to a ground like it is done for your 1'st tube: noise in it when adjusting will cause peaks of current in the output tube.

Sheldon 26th December 2007 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Fuling
The zener should be connected "outside" the gate stopper resistor.
Thanks, that makes sense. I'll give it a try.


Quote:

Originally posted by Wavebourn
Also, I would move output tube bias trimpot to a ground like it is done for your 1'st tube: noise in it when adjusting will cause peaks of current in the output tube.
Yes, that does seem the better way. Thanks.

Sheldon

kevinkr 27th December 2007 09:42 PM

One other thing that sometimes helps when all else fails is a small resistor right at the drain - 10 ohms ought to be enough. (De Q the surrounding wiring at vhf..)

Sheldon 27th December 2007 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kevinkr
One other thing that sometimes helps when all else fails is a small resistor right at the drain - 10 ohms ought to be enough. (De Q the surrounding wiring at vhf..)
Thanks Kevin, I assume you mean on the drain of the follower device, as the connection between follower and CCS is only a couple of cm. Though, I guess it couldn't really hurt there either.

Sheldon

Sheldon 29th December 2007 05:54 PM

I found the problem. Turns out that I had some metal debris that was causing some conduction from the drain of the 10m45 to ground. Cleaned that up and problem gone. I went ahead and made the circuit changes (drain stoppers, including gate stopper behind the safety zener, and moved the trim pot to the ground leg), just make the engineering more solid.

sheldon

Sheldon 18th January 2008 06:01 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hmm, turns out the solder issue did not cure everything. These things seem to want to oscillate. I made changes as per the following and had problems when I tried to use a CCS on the driver tube. Thought I might have goosed something a little too hard, and cooked one of the IXYS devices. I had to replace one, so I just replaced both with DN2540, with the appropriate changes to get the correct current. All tests out fine on the bench. But when I power up the output tubes, things go south and the bias goes away. Here's the schematic with the IXYS shown. Any ideas, before I just go back to a resistor load on the source follower?

Sheldon

gentlevoice 18th January 2008 06:28 PM

ferrite beads
 
Hi,

I previously encountered oscillation in many of my designs (very high bandwidth) but cured most all of them placing small ferrite beads (I guess they are normally used to filter out high frequency noise) on the transistor's pins.

In my opinion is also made the circuit sound better - somewhat quieter and less diffuse.

Regards,

Jesper

Wavebourn 18th January 2008 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sheldon
Hmm, turns out the solder issue did not cure everything. These things seem to want to oscillate. I made changes as per the following and had problems when I tried to use a CCS on the driver tube. Thought I might have goosed something a little too hard, and cooked one of the IXYS devices. I had to replace one, so I just replaced both with DN2540, with the appropriate changes to get the correct current. All tests out fine on the bench. But when I power up the output tubes, things go south and the bias goes away. Here's the schematic with the IXYS shown. Any ideas, before I just go back to a resistor load on the source follower?

Sheldon

Ground loop may be?


All times are GMT. The time now is 07:03 PM.


vBulletin Optimisation provided by vB Optimise (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
Copyright 1999-2014 diyAudio


Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.3.2