SimpleSE / Edcor CXSE OPT - Page 4 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 22nd January 2008, 12:37 AM   #31
diyAudio Member

From Antique Electronics Supply's web site:

Chinese 6L6GC $7.95

We tried to blow this one up, but could not!!!

This is a current add referring to the new slim one.

The newer slimmer ones don't seem to shed the heat as good as the coke bottle shaped ones do. Both are fine at the published ratings, but those of us who take those ratings as mere suggestions find the coke bottle shaped ones good for 1 or 2 additional watts of dissipation.

The coke bottle shaped tubes disappeared about two years ago. Now they seem to be in stock at several places. One distributor offered me 100 at $4 each. I don't need that many, especially if you can't blow it up.
Old 22nd January 2008, 04:30 AM   #32
Zap is offline Zap  United States
diyAudio Member

I'm excited to hear how they sound. I believe you said in the past they actually have pretty decent sound, and given the price that's not a bad deal at all. Given the stock SimpleSE bias, how many watts output should be expected?

Do they exhibit the fluorescence like the EH KT88's? I'm still considering a pair of those and/or a pair of the Tung-Sol 6550's.

For that matter, can anyone comment on how long any of these tubes need to break in?
Old 22nd January 2008, 10:25 PM   #33
diyAudio Member

Well, tough or not, the little chinese 6L6s are not going to hang with KT88s or 6550s from EH or TS as far as audio quality goes. It's just not going to happen. In that case look at the Shuguang KT66, which is a very fine tube, just very large, which is cool, but something you need to allow for.

While all tubes sound somewhat different, I find many of the new production tubes to be of excellent quality. I am extremely pleased with my new Tung Sol 6550s... and plan on picking up a set of the EH KT88s soon... and many sites review those as the best current production audio tube, though I personally would be hesitant to label any one tube "the best." The nice thing about tube rolling is, they all sound pretty dang good! So, no matter what tube, the music should still be rocking.

As for power output with the SimpleSE, Tubelab is the guy to ask about that...
Old 23rd January 2008, 02:51 AM   #34
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Given the stock SimpleSE bias, how many watts output should be expected?
The Chinese 6L6GC's will make about 4 watts in triode and 9 or 10 in UL mode, assuming 440 (or thereabouts) B+ and a 5K ohm load. The tubes that I have do not have any blue glow.

Quote:
For that matter, can anyone comment on how long any of these tubes need to break in?
I don't know, all of the tubes that I have are well used. I pulled the tubes shown above out of a Bandmaster.

Quote:
Well, tough or not, the little chinese 6L6s are not going to hang with KT88s or 6550s from EH or TS as far as audio quality goes. It's just not going to happen.
The 6L6GC's do not sound as good as the more expensive tubes, but they are the best $8 tube I have heard. I got all of mine for $5 or less. I got some used EH KT88's and 6550's for $10 each. These have a markedly better sound than the 6L6GC's. They make about 5 or 6 watts in triode and 12 or 13 in UL in the same amp with no other changes. All of mine (8) glow blue. The glow flashes with the bass on loud music (Pink Floyd comes to mind).

The EL34 (I am using JJ's) make the most power 6 watts in triode, 14 in UL and do the best on simple detailed music, but they don't rock like the EH KT88's. The KT88's actually sound louder.

So which tubes do you use? I have a bunch to choose from, but I find that I use the EL34's and the KT88's for just about everything.

Hide this!Advertise here!