SimpleSE / Edcor CXSE OPT - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 5th January 2008, 08:55 PM   #11
diyAudio Member

Gents,
I used the small Edcor 5k SE's in a quick and dirty compactron amp (6T9). I can definately vouch for them; very clean and low distortion. I was so pleased with them that I ordered a set of their big 60w 4.2k PP's to use in a psudo-ST70 KT88.
For the price, I don't think you can go wrong.
Old 6th January 2008, 09:47 PM   #12
Zap is offline Zap  United States
diyAudio Member

The sockets in question are the following (from AES):

3 Octal Sockets P-ST8-193
Ceramic stand-off PC mount socket has 13/16" tail diameter.

1 Noval Socket P-ST9-214
Ceramic stand-off PC mount socket with 1" tail diameter.

I've noticed they stock the Octal socket in gold and those are in stock. My question becomes whether that is a good idea. I remember reading somewhere about not mixing and matching gold with non-gold sockets/pins. I can't remember which combinations were OK and which were not recommended.

Thanks!
Old 6th January 2008, 10:14 PM   #13
diyAudio Member

I have used the gold sockets with good results. I have also used the P-ST9-222 socket.

If you can't get them from AES call Stan at ESRC. Make sure you specify sockets for PC board use.

http://www.esrcvacuumtubes.com/
Old 6th January 2008, 10:31 PM   #14
diyAudio Member

Thanks for the tips - any suggestions on the Edcor Power transformer? (Will it work and do I need to adjust circuit parameters?) I'd like to match my transformers if possible since I'll be ordering the CXSE series, but I'd like to order them all at the same time.

Thanks!
Old 6th January 2008, 11:17 PM   #15
diyAudio Member

I have not tried the Edcor power transformers, but most (if not all) do not have the 5 volt winding so you are stuck using the solid state rectifiers only. I am always looking for bargains so I have been using the Allied 6K7VG power transformers wherever I can. They work great in the SimpleSE and are the lowest cost power transformer of its size. Been using them for over 10 years without issue even in some heavilly abused guitar amps. Since they are really Hammonds (for less money, $46) they do get rather warm. The 150 mA rating applies to 50Hz use, no problem at 175 mA on 60Hz. Compare to Hammond 274BX.

I also use the 6K56VG for smaller projects like a SimpleSE with 6V6's or a TubelabSE with 45's ($41).

http://www.alliedelec.com
Old 7th January 2008, 03:36 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Re: 5v windings

I haven't looked at any of the Edcor Power Transformers; but if they have more than one 6.3v winding with enough balls; you can always run damper diodes in FW for a rectifier.

FWIW,
Steve
Old 8th January 2008, 04:51 PM   #17
diyAudio Member

Okay, I got a chance to talk to Edcor today about the power transformers.

They charge a one time fee to custom design of $20, but if someone else has already paid that, they charge just the mfg cost for the actual transformer. The biggest question becomes if a higher HV tap or no CT on the 6.3V makes a difference. That way I could use a pre-existing design that doesn't cost much more than the Allied part.

As compared to the Allied 750VCT @ 150mA HV, 6.3VCT @ 5A, 5V @ 3A ~$46

XPWR006 - 820VCT @ 200mA, 6.3VCT @ 5A, 5V @ 3A ~$63

XPWR033 - 760VCT @ 200mA, 6.3V (No CT) @ 5A, 5V @ 3A ~$60

My reasoning is that paying another shipping cost to Allied for a heavy transformer would probably add $10 to the cost, vs considerably less for the Edcor shipment with two OPTs already in it. Additionally, this way the transformers would match which would be nice as well, since I will be using the CXSE series which has better frequency response. The better Edcors are still less costly than springing for a set of James, and they seem like they would be more in the ballpark than the cheaper ones.

So, my question now is whether I need to adjust a few components to use the other transformer or if I'm looking at making things more complicated.
Old 8th January 2008, 05:23 PM   #18
diyAudio Member

Do ya have a schematic we could see ??
Old 8th January 2008, 07:53 PM   #19
diyAudio Member

I knew it was out there somewhere... here's the link to the schematic for the SimpleSE. I see that the C/T on the 6.3V portion of the transformer isn't used, so that might make the closer HV tap value more appealing.

http://www.tubelab.com/SimpleSE_schematic.htm

I'm also curious what value of choke & motor run cap people have used in the design before - I'm not as well versed on power supply design as I'd like to be!
Old 8th January 2008, 09:15 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Hi,

Quote:
Originally posted by Zap
The sockets in question are the following (from AES):

3 Octal Sockets P-ST8-193
Ceramic stand-off PC mount socket has 13/16" tail diameter.

1 Noval Socket P-ST9-214
Ceramic stand-off PC mount socket with 1" tail diameter.

I have them in stock. Not in gold though.

My 9-pin is the better type (non sealed) for reliability.

I will price match AES.

Cheers!

Hide this!Advertise here!