• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The biggest bunch of tubes ever seen

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
To me this sounds pretty fishy to a point. The Richardson tube storage warehouse is not in Wisconsin, It is in downtown Geneva Illinois STILL in the original Cetron Building .

Richardsons Plant (Founding Headquarters) is just up the road from my house in LaFox Illinois. They are a rock solid international company. I find it hard to beleive an asset recovery company could have latched onto a Multibillion dollar a year companies inventory.

Be Hey, who knows.

BTW, Richardson Is Still in the tube business as a supplier and manufacture.

House Of Tubes

Richardson

Trout

sorting through a couple hundred pallets of tubes would take at least a man-year

Even longer if the "agents" hired to move them from the original location decide to dump them all randomly into 2' X 2' X 2' boxes.

About 5 years ago A friend in the surplus business called me and said that if I helped him unload and warehouse two semi loads of stuff, I could have all of the tubes for free. There are about 100,000 tubes and I have still not seen them all! I have come to believe that the "audio tubes" were all picked out of the lot a long time ago. I also now realize that about 90000 of these tubes will never be even remotely useful in audio work. I am still testing some of the unusual tubes that I have in large quantity for usefulness in audio. I have about 1000 5670's, they make good LTP splitters. The jury is still out on the 6AK5's and some of the other little guys. Some of the "useless TV tubes" are quite useful, but 1B3's and their relatives are not much fun.

I have a zillion 6AL5's, 2D21's and a bunch of larger thyratrons, and HV rectifiers. I have come to realize that I have been paying about $2000 a year in warehouse rent to keep these around for the last 5 years, and it is not worth it. I will start listing some of this stuff on Ebay next year, and what doesn't get sold ( or given away) will wind up in the dumpster.

Examine any large lot before buying into it, and think about what you are going to do with all of them!

Attachments

• warehouse.jpg
    warehouse.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 1,342
You know, If you think about it a bit, $8.00 per tube is hardly a deal.
Then as mentioned above, subtract the useless stuff which is most likely 90% and that price jumps big time.

If you look closely at the pictures, It looks to me like there are a lot of Cathode Ray Picture Tubes!

14" Monitor tube In the picture below.
970f_1.JPG

If that whole pile along that wall is monitor tubes, it could be expensive to dispose of them properly. Not exactly an environmentally friendly item.

The Broker is clearly asking far to much for an undocumented and very potentially low value lot.

Trout

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.