Go Back   Home > Forums > >
Home Forums Rules Articles diyAudio Store Blogs Gallery Wiki Register Donations FAQ Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Switching power supply for tube filaments possible???
Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 14th November 2017, 10:14 AM   #51
mcandmar is offline mcandmar
diyAudio Member

The ripple current is irrelevant, we are talking about tubes that only use 100ma, or 50ma if wired for 2.8volts
Old 14th November 2017, 11:51 AM   #52
Sunsun22 is offline Sunsun22  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

If ripple current is irrelevant to this kit, why 10000uF is being used? Is it another overkill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcandmar View Post
The ripple current is irrelevant, we are talking about tubes that only use 100ma, or 50ma if wired for 2.8volts
Old 14th November 2017, 10:21 PM   #53
Wavebourn is offline Wavebourn  United States
Designer & Technologist
diyAudio Member

I use, for example, an industrial SMPS to power filaments of GK-71 tubes. Each consumes 60W.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gubernator-bottom.jpg (383.3 KB, 166 views)
Old 15th November 2017, 12:13 AM   #54
vt4c is offline vt4c
diyAudio Member

Ripple current will affect more especially when use as DHT filament supply. Have to be aware that the filament supply is now part of the signal path.

Constant current regulated filament supply creates a high impedance path that isolate those nasty ripple noise from entering the tube. Again, I'm talking about DHT here. Less of a impact if CC regulated filament supply is use on a IDHT
Old 15th November 2017, 02:44 AM   #55
nigelwright7557 is offline nigelwright7557  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I had a problem with hum in a pre amp.
A DC heater supply was suggested so I tried that.
No difference. The hum was from other problems.

Since then I have always used ac heaters in my pre amps, mixers and power amps circuits. Layout of components and pcb tracking is very important too.
Sticking valves next to mains transformers or running HVAC near audio is not advised.
Elevate heater to around 45 volts DC.
Keep input signals as short as possible and use copper pours connected to zero volts around audio.
Old 15th November 2017, 02:43 PM   #56
kodabmx is offline kodabmx  Canada
diyAudio Member

I use an 80 Plus Gold rated ATX computer supply for the heaters. 15mV ripple on 12V. It then powers a 280V boost converter for the front end circuitry and a 380V boost converter for the power amp B+. No hash, no hiss, no hum and my wallet still has money in it! Better results than a passive version for 1/2 the money.
Old 15th November 2017, 05:03 PM   #57
AquaTarkus is offline AquaTarkus  Canada
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nigelwright7557 View Post
Layout of components and pcb tracking is very important too.
Sticking valves next to mains transformers or running HVAC near audio is not advised.
Elevate heater to around 45 volts DC.
Keep input signals as short as possible and use copper pours connected to zero volts around audio.
This is solid advice. Layout and correct grounding are critical. I also tend to prefer DC-elevated AC heaters over DC.
Old 17th November 2017, 07:45 AM   #58
Sunsun22 is offline Sunsun22  Hong Kong
diyAudio Member

The Nichicon capacitors arrived and I immediately soldered them to the buck converters for testing.

UHE has a lot of punch, both high and low are improved VS those 1800uF Panasonic FC.

UKE is more airy, although high and low are improved VS those 1800uF Panasonic FC, the low is not as much as UHE but this actually fits my system because I feel the UHE has too much punch.

Click the image to open in full size.

Although we feel DL92 only uses 1.4V at 100mA, adding more capacitance to the filament heater do have some effect while using different types of capacitors also has effect on the sound too.

Last edited by Sunsun22; 17th November 2017 at 07:53 AM.
Old 20th November 2017, 04:19 PM   #59
ChrisABC is offline ChrisABC  Canada
diyAudio Member

Vacuum Tube Filament PSU Project

"After the conversion, the output voltage will be 6.3V @ 3A. All other voltages remain unchanged. "
Old 20th November 2017, 09:35 PM   #60
audiowize is offline audiowize  United States
diyAudio Member

Send a message via AIM to audiowize
You can always put a D cell battery on your DL92s.

Switching power supply for tube filaments possible???Hide this!Advertise here!