diyAudio

diyAudio (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/)
-   Tubes / Valves (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/)
-   -   monoblock vs. one chassis? (http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/tubes-valves/11365-monoblock-vs-one-chassis.html)

Magnetmaz 20th February 2003 12:33 AM

monoblock vs. one chassis?

Any advantage to having a monoblock configuration?

I suppose you may be able to put the amp closer to each individual speaker, which would reduce cable length....

but is there any logical reason i am missing?

-Eric

fdegrove 20th February 2003 12:38 AM

MONOBLOCKS

Hi,

You are correct, being able to put them closer to the speaker can be an advantage.

Possibly less crosstalk, better stereo separation too.

Less interaction of ground currents also.

Other deciding factors may be weight and heat convection, there may be other factors I overlook as well.

Cheers,;)

mrfeedback 20th February 2003 12:49 AM

Hi Frank,
I agree with you there, however I feel that there is benefit in common earthing arrangements in the one enclosure (dual monoblock construction).

If running balanced signal feeds this is less of an issue.

Eric.

Original Burnedfingers 20th February 2003 12:59 AM

Instead of having 1 120lb unit to lift you now have 2 60 lb units. This makes it much easier on the hernia. You can now listen to wifely comments like... "Now you have two of those ugly things I have to look at."

I like my monoblocks!!!

Joe

fdegrove 20th February 2003 01:02 AM

COMMON GROUND.

Eric,

Quote:

however I feel that there is benefit in common earthing arrangements in the one enclosure (dual monoblock construction).
'Fraid you lost me on that one.:confused:

Cheers,;)

JoeBob 20th February 2003 01:10 AM

The only real difference between dual monoblocks and true monoblocks is the weight factor, but I like my amps to be big and heavy (afterall bigger is better).

mrfeedback 20th February 2003 01:31 AM

Re: COMMON GROUND.

Quote:

Originally posted by fdegrove
Eric,
'Fraid you lost me on that one.:confused:
Cheers,;)

Two transformers, two power supplies, one (solid) earth common.

Eric.

Steve Eddy 20th February 2003 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by mrfeedback
Hi Frank,
I agree with you there, however I feel that there is benefit in common earthing arrangements in the one enclosure (dual monoblock construction).

In that configuration, you end up with conductive loops formed by the grounds of the interconnects. Quite large loops too if you keep your interconnects separated which would make for greater coupling of any magnetic field interference and subsequent noise at the amplifier's inputs.

se

Ryder 20th February 2003 01:42 AM

Hi F and Eric.
I guess monoblocks can cause a ground loop problem. The signal wire coming from the preamp normally connects both channels together, and the power cord also has a common connection back to the Safety Earth. So that's 2 paths from left monoblock chassis over to right monoblock chassis.

I've read where it works to keep the safety ground connected to the poweramps chassis (safety first)- but "float" the signal ground above the chassis gnd with a decent sized (min. 2W) 10-50 ohm resistor:scratch:

What works best??

Craig Ryder

Thomas 20th February 2003 02:02 AM

Re: monoblock vs. one chassis?

Quote:

Originally posted by Magnetmaz
Any advantage to having a monoblock configuration?

I suppose you may be able to put the amp closer to each individual speaker, which would reduce cable length....

but is there any logical reason i am missing?

-Eric

Shorter speaker cables yes. - But then your interconnects would be eaqualy longer. I don't know which is worst.

I can think of one good reason, and thats beacause real big poweramps. Imagine how big a 200W class A amp would be if it was stereo.:scratch: