monoblock vs. one chassis? - Page 3 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 31st March 2003, 04:17 PM   #21
Account Disabled

agree, short speaker cable & long signal wire.
the sound will less hifi & more natural.
the reason is the long signal wire had a large capacitor with lost high freq, so the sound will less hifi. But BTW more natural is this method.
I use 30 ft signal cable & 10 feet speaker cable.

thanks

Thomas
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo 11.jpg (76.7 KB, 519 views)
Old 31st March 2003, 04:21 PM   #22
EC8010 is offline EC8010  United Kingdom
diyAudio Moderator Emeritus

Default Yes, but...

Monoblocks almost double the metalwork. If you can keep the weight to below 60ilbs, it's easier to build on one chassis.
Old 31st March 2003, 04:39 PM   #23
diyAudio Member

Default But............

I know the chassis issue is there. But here the issue being considered is which cable should be longer. We aren't even considering the chassis which incidentally gets bigger and is not the problem.
I am sure we would make any chassis that fits the bill if we decide that one cable should be longer than the other.
Finally its left to the builder ... no matter what is really better.
If my wife will kill me if I have two chassis , I will build only one even if the speaker wire should be as short as possible. If not I will be 'shot'. Boy , is man weaker than a woman!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
More
Old 31st March 2003, 04:53 PM   #24
joensd is offline joensd  Germany
diyAudio Member

I know there are more points to discuss about monoblocks than just the stereo separation but when it comes to that a lot of serious amp designers would comment to watch the PSRR and the proper grounding of your amp first than just "jumping" over these problems with monoblock construction.
I think itīs not right to believe monoblocks are better in general.
If you canīt properly build a stereo amp into one chassis you shouldnīt go monoblock unless you use a topology with poor PSRR like some simple Class A designs so you kinda depend on power supply separation.

Jens
Old 31st March 2003, 06:21 PM   #25
diyAudio Member

Default The new tip...add capacitance to the interconect...

Quote:
agree, short speaker cable & long signal wire.
Quote:
the sound will less hifi & more natural.
Quote:
the reason is the long signal wire had a large capacitor with lost high freq, so the sound will less hifi.
So, the less high frequency, the better the sound??'
Oh my God!!
Why not to add a capacitor across the live and ground of the interconect to kill the highs and increase the distortion of whatever is driving it!!!
Maybe a new tip!!!

I think that i need some holidays
Old 31st March 2003, 08:14 PM   #26
diyAudio Member

Default Less hf..........good

Hi Jorge,
I think this is a language problem. I think what was meant is that the HF will roll off.......outside the audio range and ensure that no ultrasonic noise etc will get into the system.
With a 600 ohm load ( properly driven )and with the cable capacitance of say 220pf per meter and 20 meters of cable the
-3db point is about 60KHz. Not too bad!
Old 31st March 2003, 11:16 PM   #27
Account Disabled

hi tube-dude & fantastic,

sorry my english is not good. I means not the high freq will lost many, Olny means the High freq will roll of a little bit more.
So the sound will hear less hifi, less sandy stone. More natural.
Hope U will understand what I mean.

thanks

Thomas
Old 1st April 2003, 12:28 PM   #28
diyAudio Member

I guess the real proof is in the pudding. Audition a set of mono block amps against a single chassis amp of about the same output rating and make the call. I listened to a highly moded AES amplifier against a set of bone stock Quicksilver amps. The "Quickeys" blew away the AES's.

Sure you have two sets of everything to purchase when you put together a set of mono block amps. Like "Frank" always says "There are no free lunches"

Bottom line is you get what you pay for in this hobby/obsession. You don't get good low end with a 25 dollar output transformer or high fidelity with a 2dollar tube.

Just my .02

Joe
Old 1st April 2003, 01:55 PM   #29
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by burnedfingers
I guess the real proof is in the pudding. Audition a set of mono block amps against a single chassis amp of about the same output rating and make the call. I listened to a highly moded AES amplifier against a set of bone stock Quicksilver amps. The "Quickeys" blew away the AES's.
Hardly a relevant comparison. They're two different amps.
Old 1st April 2003, 03:22 PM   #30
diyAudio Member

Default Cost comparisons......

Quote:
You don't get good low end with a 25 dollar output transformer or high fidelity with a 2dollar tube.
This is not strictly true. I bought Soviet 6SN7's (NOS) for about US$0.70 each ! That did not make them any worse than the same type tubes for US$5 or 8 in the US. It's just that the market where I bought it was getting rid of them.
Also used and old but perfectly good transformers could cost US$25/- or less at a sale. But bought from a dealer non of these would ever come so cheap.
You must be refering to prices at regular dealers. That's why I guess we find so many DIY'ers at garage sales .My friend bought a Thorens TD124AB with a 9 inch SME arm for US$25 /- !!!! All in perfectly good condition.
So don't ignore garage sales !
Cheers.

Hide this!Advertise here!