monoblock vs. one chassis? - Page 2 - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 20th February 2003, 02:03 AM   #11
diyAudio Senior Member

Default URBAN MYTHS.

Hi,

Quote:
I guess monoblocks can cause a ground loop problem.
Nah, only if designed wrongly.

I have used monoblocks (physically two separate chasis) for poweramps and have never experienced any problem with them.

My preamp is dual mono, not two monoblocks, so ground is common to both channels.

Monoblock design should be superior to integrated left and right channel.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2003, 02:22 AM   #12
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ryder
I've read where it works to keep the safety ground connected to the poweramps chassis (safety first)- but "float" the signal ground above the chassis gnd with a decent sized (min. 2W) 10-50 ohm resistor

What works best??
Getting rid of that damned AC power supply, that's what.

Actually, the method you mention above can be effective, though I prefer placing a 0.01uF cap in series with the resistor. That provides greater isolation at power line frequencies and the cap alows for a low impedance path to the chassis at high frequencies so that the chassis can work well as an electrostatic shield.

se
Old 20th February 2003, 02:28 AM   #13
diyAudio Senior Member

Default AC GROUNDING.

Hi,

Quote:
Actually, the method you mention above can be effective, though I prefer placing a 0.01uF cap in series with the resistor. That provides greater isolation at power line frequencies and the cap alows for a low impedance path to the chassis at high frequencies so that the chassis can work well as an electrostatic shield.
Absolutely, this method has been used for what...fifty years already?

Clever little trick,that one.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2003, 02:42 AM   #14
diyAudio Member

Default Re: AC GROUNDING.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Absolutely, this method has been used for what...fifty years already?
Wouldn't surprise me. I first saw it at least 20 years ago.

Quote:
Clever little trick,that one.
Yup. Another clever trick (short of ditching the AC power supply completely) is to use a Class II double insulated chassis and ditch the !@#$% safety ground.

Sadly, there are probably a lot of commercial products out there whose chassis meet Class II specs but because the 3 conductor power cord has become so ubiquitous, the manufacturers just tack on an IEC socket out of habit and to be compatable with all the aftermarket IEC power cords.

se
Old 20th February 2003, 02:49 AM   #15
diyAudio Senior Member

Default DITCHING THE EARTH.

Hi,

Quote:
Sadly, there are probably a lot of commercial products out there whose chassis meet Class II specs but because the 3 conductor power cord has become so ubiquitous, the manufacturers just tack on an IEC socket out of habit and to be compatable with all the aftermarket IEC power cords.
No big deal for a DIYer though.
As long as you play it safe,easy enough to solve IMO.

Cheers,
Old 20th February 2003, 03:15 AM   #16
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Steve Eddy
Getting rid of that damned AC power supply, that's what.
Wow, what an idea. My monoblocks are looking like weighing about 50kg ea when the chassis are finished, so if I go battery power to give me 900V, maybe I'll just add on an extra room for them all. Seventy four truck batteries if I want to keep them monos. Batteries R us are gonna love me. No one light a match when they're recharging.
Old 20th February 2003, 03:29 AM   #17
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Brett
Wow, what an idea. My monoblocks are looking like weighing about 50kg ea when the chassis are finished, so if I go battery power to give me 900V, maybe I'll just add on an extra room for them all. Seventy four truck batteries if I want to keep them monos. Batteries R us are gonna love me. No one light a match when they're recharging.
That's the spirit!

se
Old 20th February 2003, 07:04 AM   #18
Electrons are yellow and more is better!
diyAudio Member

Default Re: URBAN MYTHS.

Quote:
Originally posted by fdegrove
Nah, only if designed wrongly.

I have used monoblocks (physically two separate chasis) for poweramps and have never experienced any problem with them.

My preamp is dual mono, not two monoblocks, so ground is common to both channels.

Monoblock design should be superior to integrated left and right channel.
I think in fact it's technical impossible to get ground loop problems if the monoblocks don't have protective earth. But you can surely get hum. I think everyone can agree that monoblocks are the easiest way to get problem free amps.
Old 31st March 2003, 01:42 PM   #19
Account Disabled

But pls remember that in one chassis if u use full triode version to push 300B. very easy to cross the noise.
this is the problem must be careful to handle.
If U like to use one chassis but near monoblock powerful swing.

one power trans with use seperate chokes ( every channel use one choke) & rectifier cap.
this will better.

thanks

Thomas
Old 31st March 2003, 03:08 PM   #20
diyAudio Member

Default Which is better.

Quote:
Shorter speaker cables yes. - But then your interconnects would be eaqualy longer. I don't know which is worst.
I would say probably the shorter speaker cables are better. They are more difficult to have ( heavy) shielded braids with low impedance and generally their dc resistance will be lower if they are shorter.
For balanced low level signal lines especially at 600 ohms , frequency response, damping (?) shielding etc will be much better.
So I hazzard a guess that this might be a better way to go. It also avoids the ground loops mentioned earlier - or can be avoided with careful planning.

Balanced lines here we come !

Hide this!Advertise here!