• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

monoblock vs. one chassis?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
MONOBLOCKS

Hi,

You are correct, being able to put them closer to the speaker can be an advantage.

Possibly less crosstalk, better stereo separation too.

Less interaction of ground currents also.

Other deciding factors may be weight and heat convection, there may be other factors I overlook as well.

Cheers,;)

mrfeedback said:
Hi Frank,
I agree with you there, however I feel that there is benefit in common earthing arrangements in the one enclosure (dual monoblock construction).

In that configuration, you end up with conductive loops formed by the grounds of the interconnects. Quite large loops too if you keep your interconnects separated which would make for greater coupling of any magnetic field interference and subsequent noise at the amplifier's inputs.

se

Hi F and Eric.
I guess monoblocks can cause a ground loop problem. The signal wire coming from the preamp normally connects both channels together, and the power cord also has a common connection back to the Safety Earth. So that's 2 paths from left monoblock chassis over to right monoblock chassis.

I've read where it works to keep the safety ground connected to the poweramps chassis (safety first)- but "float" the signal ground above the chassis gnd with a decent sized (min. 2W) 10-50 ohm resistor:scratch:

What works best??

Craig Ryder

Magnetmaz said:
Any advantage to having a monoblock configuration?

I suppose you may be able to put the amp closer to each individual speaker, which would reduce cable length....

but is there any logical reason i am missing?

-Eric

Shorter speaker cables yes. - But then your interconnects would be eaqualy longer. I don't know which is worst.

I can think of one good reason, and thats beacause real big poweramps. Imagine how big a 200W class A amp would be if it was stereo.:scratch:

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
URBAN MYTHS.

Hi,

I guess monoblocks can cause a ground loop problem.

Nah, only if designed wrongly.

I have used monoblocks (physically two separate chasis) for poweramps and have never experienced any problem with them.

My preamp is dual mono, not two monoblocks, so ground is common to both channels.

Monoblock design should be superior to integrated left and right channel.

Cheers,;)

Ryder said:
I've read where it works to keep the safety ground connected to the poweramps chassis (safety first)- but "float" the signal ground above the chassis gnd with a decent sized (min. 2W) 10-50 ohm resistor:scratch:

What works best??

Getting rid of that damned AC power supply, that's what. :)

Actually, the method you mention above can be effective, though I prefer placing a 0.01uF cap in series with the resistor. That provides greater isolation at power line frequencies and the cap alows for a low impedance path to the chassis at high frequencies so that the chassis can work well as an electrostatic shield.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
AC GROUNDING.

Hi,

Actually, the method you mention above can be effective, though I prefer placing a 0.01uF cap in series with the resistor. That provides greater isolation at power line frequencies and the cap alows for a low impedance path to the chassis at high frequencies so that the chassis can work well as an electrostatic shield.

Absolutely, this method has been used for what...fifty years already?

Clever little trick,that one.:cool:

Cheers,;)

Re: AC GROUNDING.

fdegrove said:
Absolutely, this method has been used for what...fifty years already?

Wouldn't surprise me. I first saw it at least 20 years ago.

Clever little trick,that one.:cool:

Yup. Another clever trick (short of ditching the AC power supply completely) is to use a Class II double insulated chassis and ditch the !@#$% safety ground. :)

Sadly, there are probably a lot of commercial products out there whose chassis meet Class II specs but because the 3 conductor power cord has become so ubiquitous, the manufacturers just tack on an IEC socket out of habit and to be compatable with all the aftermarket IEC power cords.

se

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
DITCHING THE EARTH.

Hi,

Sadly, there are probably a lot of commercial products out there whose chassis meet Class II specs but because the 3 conductor power cord has become so ubiquitous, the manufacturers just tack on an IEC socket out of habit and to be compatable with all the aftermarket IEC power cords.

No big deal for a DIYer though.
As long as you play it safe,easy enough to solve IMO.

Cheers,;)

Steve Eddy said:
Getting rid of that damned AC power supply, that's what. :)

Wow, what an idea. My monoblocks are looking like weighing about 50kg ea when the chassis are finished, so if I go battery power to give me 900V, maybe I'll just add on an extra room for them all. Seventy four truck batteries if I want to keep them monos. Batteries R us are gonna love me. :) No one light a match when they're recharging.

Brett said:
Wow, what an idea. My monoblocks are looking like weighing about 50kg ea when the chassis are finished, so if I go battery power to give me 900V, maybe I'll just add on an extra room for them all. Seventy four truck batteries if I want to keep them monos. Batteries R us are gonna love me. :) No one light a match when they're recharging.

That's the spirit! :)

se

Re: URBAN MYTHS.

fdegrove said:
Nah, only if designed wrongly.

I have used monoblocks (physically two separate chasis) for poweramps and have never experienced any problem with them.

My preamp is dual mono, not two monoblocks, so ground is common to both channels.

Monoblock design should be superior to integrated left and right channel.
I think in fact it's technical impossible to get ground loop problems if the monoblocks don't have protective earth. But you can surely get hum. I think everyone can agree that monoblocks are the easiest way to get problem free amps.

But pls remember that in one chassis if u use full triode version to push 300B. very easy to cross the noise.
this is the problem must be careful to handle.
If U like to use one chassis but near monoblock powerful swing.

one power trans with use seperate chokes ( every channel use one choke) & rectifier cap.
this will better.

thanks

Thomas

Which is better.

Shorter speaker cables yes. - But then your interconnects would be eaqualy longer. I don't know which is worst.

I would say probably the shorter speaker cables are better. They are more difficult to have ( heavy) shielded braids with low impedance and generally their dc resistance will be lower if they are shorter.
For balanced low level signal lines especially at 600 ohms , frequency response, damping (?) shielding etc will be much better.
So I hazzard a guess that this might be a better way to go. It also avoids the ground loops mentioned earlier - or can be avoided with careful planning.

Balanced lines here we come !
:nod:

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.