a real no-brainer question about 1/2 tubes - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 13th December 2007, 06:07 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default a real no-brainer question about 1/2 tubes

I am sure that I have this right:

When a schematic shows, for example a single channel with 1/2 6SL7 as the driver and 1/2 6AS7 as the output, then the other 1/2 of the tubes could be used for the second channel in a stereo system? In other words, a stereo amp would require only 2 tubes - 1 6SL7 and 1 6AS7?

I think that the answer is "YES" but I am renowned for my blundering.

Charlie
Old 13th December 2007, 06:27 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

Location: Mar del Plata, a BIG seasonal getaway city, can see the Ocean from our residence.
Default Halfsies...

Yes...the great thing about twin triodes is their flexibility in designing great schematics!
________________________________________Rick...... .
Old 13th December 2007, 07:39 PM   #3
JoshK is offline JoshK  Canada
diyAudio Member

A follow up question. I know you can use one of the two triodes only (say you wanted to use the right triode in the right channel and the left triode in the left channel to be able to swap and facilitate triode matching easier). I know you have to still have to heat the whole tube but what is the proper thing to do with the hookup of the second triode that isn't being used? Do you need to put stoppers on it or anything?
Old 14th December 2007, 01:06 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Quote:
what is the proper thing to do with the hookup of the second triode that isn't being used?
The common practice is to leave the unused section unconnected. With no place for current to flow, it won't do anything. Plate, cathode, and all grids open, no connection to each other or anything else.

I have seen (rarely) designs where all elements of the unused section are grounded. I would not do this, since there is now a (remote) possibility for unintended current flow.

Quote:
then the other 1/2 of the tubes could be used for the second channel in a stereo system?
Yes. I have done this and it works well. It has been stated that some compromize in channel seperation may occur when both channels are routed through the same tube. This may happen at the highest frequencies, but I have not seen it. I have found some advantages to doing this even when using several of the same tube in an amplifier, for HK breakdown issues. Say when running an SRPP on 400 volts to drive 300B's.

Hide this!Advertise here!