Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 11th December 2007, 06:34 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default 6bx7gt envelope temperature

Hello everyone!
I'm sure I just missed it somehow, but I can't find the maximum allowable envelope temperature for a 6bx7gt. Is 355F OK?
Thanks in advance,
Rob
Old 11th December 2007, 06:56 AM   #2
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
Sure why not.

As long as dissipation isn't much over ratings, and ambient is a human survivable environment, it shouldn't matter... Which is probably why it isn't mentioned in the datasheet.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:38 AM   #3
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

That seems pretty high. Most tubes are rated for 200 degrees C max envelope temp. You're somewhat above that- is the tube well-ventilated? Power ratings assume that the tube isn't stuck in the middle of a lot of other warm stuff and has free flow of air. If that's not the case, even run within power ratings, the tube can destruct.

Get some air on that puppy before it bakes to death.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:00 PM   #4
diyAudio Member

355 degrees F is 180 degrees C hot, but not out of line.
Old 11th December 2007, 01:48 PM   #5
SY is offline SY  United States
diyAudio Moderator

My bad on the calculation, sorry.
Old 11th December 2007, 04:04 PM   #6
plovati is offline plovati  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default 6BX7 is hot!

I done a SE simple 6BX7 amplifier.
I tested lot of brands like GE, Sylvania, Amperex, Rayteon etc and all the tube get really hot in operation, also within the dissipation limits that is 13W for the sum of two section (not 10W each section if both section are used).

The hottest part is the plastic socket, and can lead to early degradation of the socket itself, a good ventilation will not be a bad idea.

Electraprint use this tube in overdissipation, ( http://www.electra-print.com/docs/6bx7se0001.pdf ) but I was told that this tube is really a robust one.
Old 11th December 2007, 11:48 PM   #7
diyAudio Member

I appreciate all of the replies. Thank you to all. As the other octals around it aren't really very hot, and the base is considerably cooler, I'm probably alright. Besides, I kind of enjoy the little room heater.
Rob

Hide this!Advertise here!