• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Earth/Ground Loops

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi

Can somebody suggest a remedy to my problem. I am running a pair of 6L6 monoblocks but I have a mains frequency hum through my speakers. The only way I can resolve it is to disconnect the earth/ground from both of the power leads, but obviuosly an unsafe situation. How can I get rid of this mains hum and still maintain my earth/ground integrity.

John

You have a ground loop (two or more different ground connections without the same impedance), what causes the hum.
Sometimes RCA cables are the cause (the principle is inherently flawed, but sometimes only the plugs are badly soldered or dirty).

The easiest and safest way to get a clean ground is to connect ALL earth lines together in ONE point and connect THIS ONE ONLY with mains earth. (Try to find out where your ground paths - visible and hidden - actually are.) The best point for that would be at the preamp power supply (this is not only my experience).

As a rule of thumb: All cases should or can be connected to mains ground for safety reasons, but the ground of each device should be connected together in one line (never a loop) or best in form of a star. This line or better the star ground point is connected with mains earth.

There are a lot more tricks to get a hum free setup, but try the best one first.
If this does not help, you will have to specify all your devices, cables, connections, etc.

best whishes
Klaus

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.