• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The attraction of vacuum tubes / valves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The ideal load...

When loudspeaker manufacturers all make their loudspeakers to a common standard having identical impedance against frequency, we can start testing with that known load

Yes..i agreed.to test the amps with a 8 Ohm load resistor to see some parameters....and in this condition the diferences betwen amp are not to great (in well designed amplifires)!

But the realy chalenge begin when you put a amp driving a reactif load as a loudspeaker....the way the amp handles the EMF from the speaker...explain the great diferences in sound quality in two amps ,besides in the 8 Ohms resistor load they show litlle or no diference....

In this bigin the discovery of the genoma of amplifier sound!!;)

The good...the bad and the ugly!!!

Hmmm...EMF, you say?

You know what EMF are???...congratulations!!

Is this why you suggest injecting it straight into the first tube's cathode?

Why not?? Never in the grid of the first tube as in a inverting amplifier...!

The reasons!!....make same experiences...and reach to your own conclusions...

Frank you say:"i am real bad"....designer??(ask Jorge)

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
EMF.

Hi Jorge,

Why not?? Never in the grid of the first tube as in a inverting amplifier...!

Amigo meu, what can I say?...It is just risky to do so, it may damage the cathode of that tube.

Every theory book advises against it, nobody, to my knowledge does it.

Yes, you can get away with it on some occasions...that doesn't mean I'd recommend it though.

Besides, I fail to see the benefit???.
I asked before, why would you want to do that?

Al in all it is considered as bad practice.

Frank you say:"i am real bad"....designer??(ask Jorge)

Dunno, I'm not here to judge anyone really...unless you ask for it...which you seem to do.:clown:

Obrigado,

Frank.

That's life!!!

.It is just risky to do so, it may damage the cathode of that tube

Yes...because that the Mullard 20 can not work!!!!!!
You are incredivel!!!
Look at the mullard schematic...the capacitor is there!!!...and in much more designs schematics...
So in Frank opinion...there must be much Mullards 20 with cathode damaged...very bad design from Eindohven..
No more comments!!!:bawling:

Every theory book advises against it, nobody, to my knowledge does it

What books are you reeding???....are you sure that you are not reading the section..."bad designs"...

Besides, I fail to see the benefit???.

Yes...and that is your problem!!!:nod:

Back to the original question...

The console I had back in the 70's had no visible anything with regards the tubes, so they could have been glass, metal, porcelean, gold, whatever. No aesthetic beauty except for the wooden cabinet... and absolutely enchanting true to life music.

So... while yes the tube glow in the dark... and arranged nicely on the chassis... and the coke bottle shapes... all look very nice, it is the sound quality from such simple circuit design compared to solid state that is the appeal to me.

my :2c: ,

Gabe

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
???

Hi,

Let's make a deal...you tell why not to use the capacitor(the cathodes killer!!)...then i tell why to use it....

Still holding out, are you?

Sorry, no blackmailing here.
I explained already, if you know better it is up to you to prove theory wrong.

Hi Gabe,

Absolutely, and for the same reason there is coupling between the primary and secondary. Mutual inductance.

And between secundaries, etc.

But, where is Joel?:confused:

Cheers,;)

Frank explanation!!

no blackmailing here.

It shows your interest in the issue!!You are dieyng to know!!aren't you???

I explained already,

Please... show where???

PS: Luxman SQ38 and Jadis use that capacitor...after your explanation you can send a email to they ....tellling about the danger of damaged cathodes in the warranty period!!!
Kora design 30 also!!

No coments!!!!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
Re:The dealer.

Hi,

Say hello to my friends Jean-Paul Caffi and Andre Calmette at Jadis, will you?

Oh, and while you're at it bring along my buddy Pierre Lurne of Audiomeca fame as well.

While we go the manufacturer lane, say hello to Jean-Constant Verdier too, if you're lucky you may meet me too.

No deal!!!...No explanation!!!

You deserve a sinbin for this one, mate.

Onions and ignorants are just the same, they make you cry.

Cheers,;)

Frank's friends....

Say hello to my friends Jean-Paul Caffi and Andre Calmette at Jadis,

So they are your friends!!!...Then you need to advise them about the danger of the damaged cathodes by the capacitor!!!:bigeyes:
they will be thankful...i hope!

You deserve a sinbin for this one, mate.

So you make the rules here!!!You are the jury!! What you don´t like go to sinbin!!!

Onions and ignorants are just the same, they make you cry.

Yes in this we aggred!!!
The reader of the thread will find who is the ignorant!!!

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
LES OGNOINS...

Hi,

LOL.

So they are your friends!!!...Then you need to advise them about the danger of the damaged cathodes by the capacitor!!!

Not the capacitor but the EMF.

And yes, we did advise against it...not that I expect anyone to know about that...

So you make the rules here!!!You are the jury!! What you don´t like go to sinbin!!!

LOL.

It's not about what I like or don't like, Jorge , it's about you refusing to prove what it is you're claiming.
Believe me, you'll have a hard time convincing me.
Actually, you can twist and turn all you like, you'll never have me convinced.

Never,;)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.