• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

The attraction of vacuum tubes / valves.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Re: Re: Valves Belong In Museums

PassFan said:

I find it hard to believe that you talk of a speaker setup in the 135 to 136 db range with enough power to push it into full limit and standing only one meter away have the balls to include the terms fantastically pleasant and fantastically musical in the same post. Was it your intention to insult everyone in this thread? Your going to tell me your system was in full limit all night and expect me to believe that with all that compression going on it sounded so wonderful. You had your head within 1 meter of this spl and your ears didn't ring or hurt yet with that much abuse were supposed to value your opinion because you can hear it? How can you hear anything at all? Thanks alot man.

:bigeyes:

Indeed.

At 136dB the time limit for exposure before permanent hearing damage is caused is 0.7 seconds.

7N7

Rave sound systems and 135dB SPL

...The only time I have seen people stand a metre away from these sort of rigs is when they're off they're tits on disco biscuits ! Mind you the only thing to make the compression sound nice is the disco biscuits . I wonder how many he had ?

316a

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
ECHOOOOOOOOOOO....

Hoy,

When I got home at 4.30am, from outside I was able to hear the bass coming through from around 6 kilometres away - impressive.

Sure...when you been standing close to gear like that I wouldn't be surprised you heard it all night long.

The next week you keep on asking your customers to please repeat what their problem is with that VCR over and over again.

Eric,Eric....quo vadis?

Cheers, ;)

My Hearing Is Still Perfectly Fine Thanks.

Guys, I am indeed sorry that none of you were there to experience this system, and NO, the only enhancements I had were 3 cans of pre-mix whiskey and dry - nothing else at all.
This concept is from so far out of left field that it is simply beyond the experience of any of you to date, and until you have experienced this kind of sound, I well understand if it seems far fetched, but it is perfectly true, and other audio and technical guys who have heard it drop their jaws on first listen, as will you guys.

The technique that I speak of performs a filtering function that shifts signal energy and forces musically correct perfect pitch.
The result of this is that sonically aparent IMD is eliminated, and systems go to full power without the merest hint of nastiness, and that is the key to the pleasantness in the resultant sound.

Joel, no annoyance intended and don't take things so personally.

Frank, any amp sucks without my treatment ime.

Skippy, you better believe that you can get LOUD and musicality, and both at the same time, and like I say in the header line, my hearing is still perfectly fine.

316a, see above. I was there in technical/crew capacity and straight as an arrow - the music quality was the enhancement and nothing else artificial needed.

Frank (again), due to wind currents the bass sound that came through was fading in and out, but although very low level (over the ambient night sounds) was audible and pleasant sounding.

Despite the sound levels, it is worthy to note that no complaints were made, nor any Law turning up to turn things down either.

When I got to the show and before applying the treatment, yes the system was nasty at any level.
I returned at 7.00am to untreat the system, and then the system whilst running at low level reverted to nasty again and I was quite happy to leave - I could not have stood the system for more than about 5 seconds at any distance at full power and untreated.

As a further note, the guitarist of a rock/blues band that I am involved with phoned me at 11.00pm on Sunday night to excitedly report on the show that he had just done.
Instruments and the PA were treated, and according to Mick, that night was the best sound that they have EVER had, and these guys have been at it for more than 20 years.

I am sorry for youse if you think I am talking through my hat, but all of this is perfectly true, verifiable and repeatable.

Eric / - trendsetter.

BTW - this also cures tube sound and cdp.

The treatment was...

...a mixture of c37 and sheepdip encrusted 'woodoo' volume knobs no doubt (hehe) on the mixing desk , which also act as a tone control and limiter all in one . Valves to me sound better and I for one have always been sensible with my ears at raves , off my tits or not (previous life in the 80's) . Solid state and raves = kids , not glorious sound !

316a

Now thats an interesting concept / product !

I can see it now

'Sand-o-lator : converts 2nd harmonic into third , adds global feedback loops . Converts glass devices into three legged fuses which look like black dots ' etc

Could be on to a winner here !

Do you think anyone would buy it ?

316a

Re: SHIFTING PHASE.

fdegrove said:
Hi,
Should I treat my valves with "Sand-o-lator?

Cheers,;)

Hi Frank,
It is nothing to do with sand or sheepdip, and yes I expect that you would prefer this sound.
Sorry, it is not quite officially available just yet, but very soon it will be.
I intend to make a tube damper like product, but no time just yet.
If you send me a stereo length of your favorite interconnect cable, I can send it back treated - the proof is in the eating, err, listening. :)

Eric.

More Peanuts In The Gallery...

316a said:
I can see it now
'Sand-o-lator : converts 2nd harmonic into third , adds global feedback loops . Converts glass devices into three legged fuses which look like black dots ' etc
Could be on to a winner here !
Do you think anyone would buy it ?
316a

316a,
Because of your attitude I would not even sell you my snot.

It seems that you think that you are funny.
With my knowledge, I view you as ignorant, but of course that is not your fault is it ? - or is it ?.

At present those who have tried this treatment are begging to keep it, and at any price - that speaks for itself.

Eric.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
Re: My Hearing Is Still Perfectly Fine Thanks.

The technique that I speak of performs a filtering function that shifts signal energy and forces musically correct perfect pitch. The result of this is that sonically apparent IMD is eliminated, and systems go to full power without the merest hint of nastiness, and that is the key to the pleasantness in the resultant sound.

Well, crikey. May I offer my heartiest contrafibulations on this splendid sonic achievement.

However, I am somewhat mystified. You see, as Bach knew, there is no such thing as perfect pitch across all keys on any instrument. The equal tempered scale is an acceptable musical compromise that allows an instrument to play nearly correct pitch in any key. Thus, any musicians playing equal tempered are not quite in pitch, or perhaps they deliberately play that way. How does your treatment know the difference, and how does it get around the use of harmonisers?

As to eliminating IMD, that is a function of a device's transfer characteristic, so presumably, we are talking about some form of feedback around the amplifier/loudspeaker system?

Bach Remedies...

Hi EC8010,
Yes you raise perfectly good points here, and sorry I am unable to reveal any detail of this treatment yet, because of patent issues etc.
Suffice to say, the resulting sound is very nicely acceptable to the ear, and induces feelings of perfect relaxation and music enjoyment - a deeper understanding of all the sciences explains this.

Eric.

Tune To The Earth And You Will Have More Understanding.

fdegrove said:
Hi Eric,
I am willing to believe you...but why plant this info here?
Are you sure that was wise?

Sort of an extension of Grahams first post here - about much of the appeal of tube gear is the visuals.
To my mind visuals do not matter a hoot, but the sound does, and tube gear is not by definition good, and the same with SS.
However, ime, SS can be made to eat tube gear - 1% thd sounds cloudy as hell to me.

Why publicise in the middle of the enemy camp, I wonder?
Any publicity is good publicity, Eric?
Enemies ? - I thought that we are all friends around here.
My purpose is mainly to awaken some out of the irrational (imo) stance that tube is always better, and yes of course, any publicity is good publicity.

Eric.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.