• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

5814 Raytheon Windmill Getter late 50's

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I see you have recently joined the forum, so "welcome".

I do not wish to appear rude, but 5814 is just an industrial (i.e. ruggedised) 12AU7/ECC82.

I have made my views on this type clear in another thread here (which 12AU7?). I am sorry to say that whilst ECC82/12AU7 is fine in a VOX AC30 (I should know I have had plenty of VOX amplifiers in my time) but its distortion characteristics make it very unsuitable, in my view for hi-fi applications. 12AU7 produces a great deal of distortion, particularly 3rd harmonic which will most likely provoke what is known as listening fatigue.

If you are handy with electronics and a soldering iron, I suggest you re-jig to use 6CG7/6FQ7 as someone suggested on the other thread I mentioned

Best of luck

7N7

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Since you are stuck with the existing topology, you might want to try some of the current JJ 12AU7A as they seem to sound better than most NOS USA made 12AU7A in hifi applications anyway.

I prefer the old French made Mazda ECC82/12AU7A to any made on these shores. Old German and Dutch Amperex are well worth a listen if you can find some for a reasonable sum. (Unlikely, but you never know.)

Without knowing anything about the equipment this is going into it is hard to know whether the advice fits the application.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.