• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

2 amps with 1 set of speakers?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Quality being #1, Receiver preouts usually are not as "clean" as a stand alone preamp.
Crosstalk between components inside receivers is not present with a stand alone preamp.
Using a Preout means there is a stand alone amplifier, as such it usually produces better quality amplification.
Like others here, my space and budget is limited to having to use one pair of main speakers for quality stereo listening and also Home Theater use. Subwoofer included. ;)
I am trying to improve my stereo quality while remaining WAF compliant :smash:

Ron

Switch for two amps

Renron said:

Throw the Switch IGOR !

I have pre outs on my Receiver, but, I think going from the Receiver's Pre(s) to the tube preamp would degrade the signal and obfuscate the intention and purpose of the tube preout.

Thoughts?

Ron

That's the way to isolate any unwanted electrons from damaging your equipment. Used in the olden days. :xeye:

oops I for got to mention if yer gonna use a switch like the niles model I posted you will wanna make sure the tube amp is powerd off when you switch amps had a bad experience with this I was listening to my eico st40
and was switching to another amp to listen to and I guess I bent over and
bumped the treble knob on the eico and as u know the treble knob also contains the power switch I had already removed the speakers from the eico and wired them to the other amp I had setup I didnt notice for about 15min and I looked over and out of the corner of my eye seen a nice red glow which was the 5ar4 in the eico. Iv always read that it would take out the output transformers if a tube amp sat with no speakers on it but in this case it fryed the 5ar4 and 2 of the westing house 7591's that were in there that really bumed me out those were the origonal tubes that came with it the other 2 test perfect and ill eventually find another pair to match up with them but a little bad luck on my part I guess.

Can we get a simple and straightforward answer on this?

Hello fellow audiofreaks - yes I'm new here and don't want to sound like a dork but as I've read through almost all the posts, not only on this forum but several other "audio" forums as well.

While the question has been answered it seems the answers are always over-techied (new term), or always answered with an attempt at some sort of descriptive analogy or colorful rhetoric.... oftentimes falling short of actually fully answering the question.

Now that I've already "broken" my sound setup in my home music production studio, I'm basically backtracking to find out if my amps and speakers are junk now.

So, I've hooked up both "old school" integrated stereo amplifiers (KLH and technics lower end models), to one set of large Sanyo speakers (from the late 80's), nothing expensive but really big sound. No speakers "switches", just regular "stipped end" speaker wire from both amps going directly to the same 2 speakers.

Usually I'm working with one amp at a time, as they are connected to 2 computer setups on two separate desks. However I had company over and one person was working at one desk with the amp on, listening to some Youtube videos, and I was working on the other computer showing some people how to use music software (Reason v.4), after about 5 minutes, when I cranked up the sound on my amp - both amps blew out; I don't know what effect this had on the speakers (and I haven't tested them yet).

1. Are these amps trash now? or do you think I simply blew a fuse in both amps that can be easily replaced?

2. Yes I did "smell smoke" lol

3. I would rather not go with "speaker switches", just an extra set of speakers would do fine - I'll do that as an easy and quick fix; after all cheap and tall stereo floor speakers can be had at the local flea market for $20-$30.

Thanks all. .
avp0713

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.