• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Simple tube preamp...

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
chrille said:

Nope. If you want a line pre as well as a headphone amp, that one won't work. It's output Z = 4k8 and gain (into a high Z load) will be about 20. Probably fine as a line amp on it's own, though it wouldn't be my first choice. A headphone amp requires quite a lot of drive capability into low impedance loads. A single tube, without a transformer is too big an ask, esp if you want to drive something like Grado's (32 ohms?), and presumably want to have some gain in the stage.

Joel's schem Frank linked above would be better than the one you linked.

diyAudio Senior Member
Joined 2002
HEADPHONE AMP.

Hi,

If possible, with only one tube per channel

That is certainly possible.
The drawback is that you will have to use octal or novar types of dissimilar triodes such as a 6EW7,6GF7 etc.

One of the triodes can be used for voltage amplification and the other as the poweramp part.

If you need to keep things small then there is this one :

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=10984

Cheers,;)

Frank,

You're right. I was thinking of a single triode/pentode per channel, not a dual in a single envelope. At a glance, the 6EW7 looks like a good possibility for a setup similar to Joels, ie CC->CF. Or what about a 6080 / 6AS7 SRPP? :)

Cheers

Years ago I made a little preamp...I call it my Experimenting Chassis because I have B+, heater and ground wires lead out externally for the breadboard... ;)

Drives a 5k load fine...not too much gain overall though, not with the tone circuits in.

BTW if anyone was curious about the tone circuit in my 6L6GC SE amp, this is where I developed it. :cool:

Mods I recommend:
- Increased coupling caps.
- Seperate cathode bias, and more bias (1k per cathode), likewise smaller plate resistors (circa 100k).
- Higher voltage - a single, purpose-built transformer would function better than the current arrangement. If nothing else, a larger 2nd transformer and a voltage doubler.

DC filaments if you feel adventurous...maybe a cathode follower output instead...

Tim

Attachments

• tube preamp.gif
    tube preamp.gif
    5.7 KB · Views: 2,409
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.