• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Transconductance of E88CC,6922,6N23P

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I was just looking over some datasheets trying to pick a good Russian cathode follower tube, and was struck by how relatively high the transcondunctance of a little 6N23P was (over 12 mA/V). Thinking the Russians might be trying to pull my leg, I looked at some NOS E88CC and 6922 datasheets (which is what the 6N23P is supposedly a clone of), and sure enough, those manufacturers like Philips, Raytheon, and Telefunken list similar numbers. Is this the most incredible little tube that ever was and should be used for everything short of the finals, or (more likely) is there something I don't understand about how single figures like these are arrived at?

In the 7788 thread I have posted about the gm claimed by Russian manufacturers - at least on the higher gm valves.

In the specification for e.g. 6C45P, they allow a large tolerance and it is my experience that the measurements are usually at the bottom end of the scale. The European and American valves nearly always meet their specifications.

7N7

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.