• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6f2 - 6n1???

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Sorry guys and girls, I know I bore you all with my newb questions...

After having the powertube worries recently, I decided to look up and buy replacement tubes. The amp was listed as having 6F2 (ECF82) preamp tubes, but the print on the tubes does not show either of those designations, but is instead printed with 6N1.

All the sites I visit list the 6N1 and 6F2 as different tubes and never group them together as cross-usable...

Are they indeed exchangeable?

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

So do I go 6N1 or 6F2? What will happen if I use the wrong one?

I'll take a pick of the actual tube in question.

6N1.jpg

ilimzn said:
I don't really understand what the problem is? If the original one works, use the same type.
6F2 is not the 6F2P, as far as I know, there isno 6F2P. The 6F2 in the pic is chinese.

I think wavebourn's reference to 6F2P was regarding the pics in my 1st post with pics off the audiotriodes website.

In my pic, it shows the tube with 6N1-J printed on it. So I should go with what is working in the amp and not what was listed in the literature for the amp, which is 6F2(ECF82).

fauxpas said:

I think wavebourn's reference to 6F2P was regarding the pics in my 1st post with pics off the audiotriodes website.

In my pic, it shows the tube with 6N1-J printed on it. So I should go with what is working in the amp and not what was listed in the literature for the amp, which is 6F2(ECF82).

ECF82 = 6BL8 = 6F1P

So if Chinese 6F2 is ECF82 it means it is an equivalent of 6F1P (triode-pentode), where Chinese 6N1 is equivalent of 6N1P (double triode)

Did we answer your question?

OK, the seller of the amp states they did change the preamp tube recently and they forgot to change the tube info. The preamp tubes are indeed 6N1-J.

I am replacing all the tubes and now I need to know if a 6N1-P will replace my 6N1-J.

Svetlana have these 6N1-P tubes which is kind of what I'm looking at.

triodeel_1980_5545552

According to my Russian tubebook, the 6N1P has some similarities to 6N8S (6SN7).
Also the 6N1P may replace 12AU7.
ECC88 has a direct replacement in 6N23P.

Short on Russian nomination:

First figure in code is heatervoltage

Second figure is configuration:
С (latin S) = single triode
Н (latin N) = dual triode
Э (latin E or EE) = beam tetrode
П (latin P) = power pentode
Ф (latin F) = triode-pentode

Third position is a position marker (to separate like tubes from each other)

Fourth position indicates tube of housing
С (latin S) = big or BIG glass tube with octal or other special socket
П (latin P) = small glass tube in 7- or 9-pole socket (noval)
Л (latin L) = Loctal socket

Fifth position is a quality marker
В (latin V) = increased mechanical quality
Е (latin E) = prolonged lifetime

A 6N1P-EV means a 6.3V dual triode (first in a long row of dual triodes) housed in a glasstube with noval socket. It has a higher degree of mecanical stability and is a long-life tube.

People tend to mix Russian and Latin letters making up odd combinations of tubes that wouldn't exist.

hello topic starter, soundbrigade and others

thanks for the suffixes!!
The 6n1p IS used widely as replacement for ecc88.

mutual conductance is about half and internal resistance somewhat higher. Mu is the same. Pa=2,2W instead of 1,8W for ecc88

Your input sensitivity will be higher.

nevertheless it functions quite well in the place of ecc88, if you don't like 'em (matter of taste) just trow in the 6n23p which indeed is the 'real' ecc88.

check datasheets (frank)

about the 6n1-J i've not found a datasheet of that tube yet, but i guess it's just a 'strange' russian suffix for something.
I did found several chinese sites which use the tube

http://yunwt.u111.net/2wenzai/imag/16_1.jpg (this site had several schematics listed using 6n1-j, including this one)

The values for resistors in this schematic seem right in the ballpark for 6n1p
Check the tubes (6n1p-6n1j) against eachother if they look the same in construction give them a try, keep a close look at them and listen.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.