• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Class A Push Pull with 6L6GC

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hey all, I want to design an amp (guitar amp) that uses 6L6GC in push pull, but runs class A. Cathode Bias.

I have scoured the books to try and find how to calc OT impedance, cathode current and plate voltage but not much luck. Can someone give me an idea of how to calc these values?

thanks
d1

d1camero said:
Hey all, I want to design an amp (guitar amp) that uses 6L6GC in push pull, but runs class A. Cathode Bias.

I have scoured the books to try and find how to calc OT impedance, cathode current and plate voltage but not much luck. Can someone give me an idea of how to calc these values?

If you can't get this from the spec sheet (See: Frank's) then you'll have to use a loadline to determine the values for Q-Point and load. I did a mini-tutorial on that Here

Re: Re: Class A Push Pull with 6L6GC

Miles Prower said:

If you can't get this from the spec sheet (See: Frank's) then you'll have to use a loadline to determine the values for Q-Point and load. I did a mini-tutorial on that Here

HEY!!! Frank's is back up!! I yanked it from my bookmarks a few months ago because i thought it was a gonner. You just made my day.

Bandersnatch said:
hey-Hey!!!,
For Class A PP, just take the SE/single tube operating point, and double the load. Say fora 2k5 SE, go to 5k. In Class A, each side sees half the plate-to-plate load.
cheers,
Douglas

Very true. D1camero, if you want to go that route, RCA's sheets and test data pages have operating points and very detailed info for A1 SE pentode mode in both fixed and cathode bias between 200v and 350v, and a little additional chart for A1 PP pentode mode at a few more op-points... should be close enough to whatever you need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.