• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

For anyone running a K-502 with a FR driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Cool...:D
I tend to be very focused on making my own stuff, kit looks pretty decent. I think the tip might apply to amplifiers with a similar topology and full range drivers like the ones you are using. Tell us a bit more about this setup. I'm always curious and it may serve as a good starting point for recommendations to people new to the hobby..
:D

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
What it sounds like to me is that you are taking advantage of a pentode being a natural current source... by putting in variable feedback you could literally have a "tuning" knob.

Without feedback the amp will be more sensitive to any shortcomings in the power supply (or alternatively, an opportunity to see where the power supply needs improving. Regulating the screens would also be a potentially big improvement.

dave

Experimenting was done with a FE167E driver in a BR box. With a little bit of tweaking the combo (K-502 + FE167E) can produce excellent results for the beginner or person on a very tight budget.

This amp paired with these speakers sounded awful initially. I've heard the amp sound good with other speakers so this made me start tweaking with different configurations. Both on the amplifier and by adding correctional circuitry on the driver. My observations may or may not only apply to this particular application, but experimentation lead me to believe the following:

Pentode output stages usually get a bad sonic reputation because of their high output impedance. It is not because of the nature of their curves as most people would think.
This is due to one of the following circumstances:
-Open loop Pentode amp driving a dynamic loudspeaker that has a rising impedance (which is all of them that don't have a Zobel) can produce a harsh sound. This starts the "Pentodes sound harsh" statement.
-Some designers choose to apply negative feedback to lower the impedance. This can often (but not always) lead to a more sterile, lifeless sound. This starts the "Pentodes sound like transistors" statement. Yes, their curves do resemble a transistors, but how often do we hear a good, linear, transistor with no NFB?

Most designer’s triode strap the tube or run in UL. This usually produces greatly improved sonic results, but there is no denying that it would be nice to have the extra power that Pentode puts out.

So, adding a Zobel to the driver greatly improved the harsh upper midrange. Removing the NFB brought the low frequencies up to a level that was perceivably equal (ok, maybe a little bit more, I lika da bass) to the "shouty" vocal range. But the bass is tight, not boomy and all smeared together like you would think. There is a slight perceivable dip between 150-ish to 400Hz, probably do to baffle-step. While the low frequencies are being compensated for, the lower mid range isn't. Removing NFB also made the instruments much more vibrant and gave them a greater presence, so now the vocals don't totally dominate as before. The attack sounds right on, especially percussion and piano. The amp speaker combo now sounds 100x better than initially. Dare I say, that for this amp, the sound of Pentode even spanks Triode strapped! While I am totally pleased with the sound, it wouldn't be a hobby if I stopped there.

Plans for the future of this project:
-As Dave pointed out, power supply hum did go up a little. It is still not audible from listening position. But, I still plan to reduce it.
- Take advantage of the 50Hz impedance peak. Build a larger box that's tuned lower. I may be able to lower the f3 by 10Hz or more.
- Once the box is tuned to be theoretically flat, add an active baffle-step-compensation circuit that is appropriately tuned to the width of the baffle.

Other thoughts:
- Pentodes for Magnepans? Mmmm... Nice flat impedance curve, and can supply the power.

Nelson Pass also did some experimenting with using high Z out amps with single drivers:
http://www.passdiy.com/articles.htm
Current Source Amplifiers and Sensitive / Full-Range Drivers:

Good info, I likewise removed the NFB on mine. FYI the K-12 is essentially the same as the K-502. A web search will turn up lots of mods for these amps.

Yeah, I've actually read your article on diyaudioprojects before. I plan on doing the high speed rectifier + snubber mod too. The coupling capacitors have already been upgraded and the input capacitors deleted.

Hi Jeb, The PS is one of the weak links in the K series amps. The new K-8 has a much larger ps trannie and it ought to help. A few diyers have changed the ps to a choke input using Triad C-40XS chokes from Allied Electronics (cheap parts) with good results. Another fix is to beef up the ground and power connections on the board. A few have gone so far as to star ground the amp. I have not gone that route so I rally can't say how much improvement it makes. If you are interested in such mods, let me know and I'll look up their link.

IMHO, the best "easy" mods were the coupling caps. Simple not too expensive and made a big difference in mine. The Hammond outputs and general cleaning up of the B+ were next. Part of the reasons for switching to the Hammonds was that my main speakers are 4 ohm and the original trannies were only 8. Every little bit helps when you only have about 5 watts.

Did you find the rectifiers and the .01uF snubber cap made much of a difference in hum level?

I already changed the coupling caps, but I used Wima MKP4's rather than Auricaps, because of cost. It did make a noticeable difference.

Right now I'm totally satisfied with the sound for a "budget amp" I just want to bring the hum down.

Here's a pic of it in the chassis:
Picture2.jpg

The Phono-pre of my own design that was also stuffed into the chassis with the amp.
Picture-1.jpg

Hi Jeb, The rectifiers and snubbers were to get rid of noise and not hum. I replaced the filter caps in mine with better and larger value filters and that did help. There still is some hum on the outputs but it is acceptable for an amp in this price/quality range. Another source of hum is the physical placement of the output transformers in relation to the power transformer. A common arrangement is having the outputs turned at about a 30 degree angle. With a scope you can find the best arrangement. A good write up on that process was done by another diyer (search the web for the "voltsecond" mods on the K-12.

FYI the photos didn't come through.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.