Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 1st December 2007, 09:26 PM   #1
athos56 is offline athos56  United States
diyAudio Member

Talking Trying to learn something, against my better judgment

After plowing through a few threads in an effort to educate myself, I came across this, and I need a little help. I get most of it, it sends a constant voltage to the filaments, but what does the Resistor/LED bit at the end do. I tried reading the data sheet but couldn't figure it out. Thanks
Attached Images
File Type: gif heater_supply.gif (3.8 KB, 349 views)
Old 1st December 2007, 09:32 PM   #2
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Hi,

"Power on" indicator.
Old 1st December 2007, 09:33 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Hehe, really?, if that was it I'd feel kinda dumb...wouldn't be the first time
Old 1st December 2007, 09:45 PM   #4
AKN is offline AKN  Sweden
No snake oil
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to AKN
Well we could narrow it to a "glow on" indicator, I cannot see any other purpose. The impedance in the circuit is very low so the led current will not have any influence.
Old 1st December 2007, 09:52 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Default Re: Trying to learn something, against my better judgment

Quote:
Originally posted by athos56
After plowing through a few threads in an effort to educate myself, I came across this, and I need a little help. I get most of it, it sends a constant voltage to the filaments, but what does the Resistor/LED bit at the end do. I tried reading the data sheet but couldn't figure it out. Thanks
It's a "Heaters On" panel light. It's always a good idea to include that indicator when you separate the HV and heater supplies, especially where the HV is provided by a SS power supply that otherwise doesn't indicate power up. That way, you can avoid cathode stripping by hitting cold VTs with the full HV, or "sleeping sickness" by running hot cathodes without HV.
Old 1st December 2007, 10:02 PM   #6
diyAudio Member

Default Ok!

Thanks for the responses! Next time I'll try and find a harder question to become confused about
Old 2nd December 2007, 04:08 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

Quote:
It's a "Heaters On" panel light. It's always a good idea to include that indicator when you separate the HV and heater supplies, especially where the HV is provided by a SS power supply that otherwise doesn't indicate power up. That way, you can avoid cathode stripping by hitting cold VTs with the full HV, or "sleeping sickness" by running hot cathodes without HV.
I suppose that with separated you mean two different trafo's? Wouldn't it be better than to connect a relay to the primary of the HV trafo, and activate this (solid state) relay from a (rectified and regulated, maybe delayed) voltage of the heaters? Surplus relays aren't that expensive.

Erik
Old 2nd December 2007, 07:55 AM   #8
beamnet is offline beamnet  Netherlands
diyAudio Member

Send a message via MSN to beamnet
I think he refers to a standby switch. It is a switch that cutts off the HV at the secondary side to be able to glow the tubes first before applying HV.

Somestimes the switch is bybassed by a resisitor to help the emission starting softly.

Any tube amp without slow rectifier tubes should have such a switch, either manual or automated through a relay.
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:05 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by beamnet
I think he refers to a standby switch. It is a switch that cutts off the HV at the secondary side to be able to glow the tubes first before applying HV.

Somestimes the switch is bybassed by a resisitor to help the emission starting softly.

Any tube amp without slow rectifier tubes should have such a switch, either manual or automated through a relay.
Perzakly
Old 2nd December 2007, 05:44 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

I was planning on using some Ferrite beads, inrush limiters, to allow the filaments to get going first. But I have been looking at slow start switches, relays, etc. When I become confused I'll be sure to chime in

Hide this!Advertise here!