The Magic of a Name - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 30th November 2007, 08:11 PM   #1
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Default The Magic of a Name

The unfortunately-named "Full Tat Company" produces some interesting and attractive-looking valve equipment.

Have a look here

What is really scary for the West is that they state that they can produce 10.000 units per month of this nice-looking amplifer!

7N7
Old 30th November 2007, 09:08 PM   #2
diyAudio Member

That looks more like a rendering than an actual photo. Guess nobody has ordered 10,000 yet.

http://fulltat.trustpass.alibaba.com...Amplifier.html

That must be a hybrid because how are a 6N1 and 5Z4P supposed to produce 35 watts?
Old 30th November 2007, 09:14 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by astouffer
That must be a hybrid because how are a 6N1 and 5Z4P supposed to produce 35 watts?
LMAO! Using a very oversized rectifier like the 5Z4P for each 6N1 to make it more tube-amp-looking, that's too funny.
Old 30th November 2007, 09:45 PM   #4
fauxpas is offline fauxpas  Australia
diyAudio Member

I saw one of these on aussie ebay this week, but under a different brand name.

Click the image to open in full size.

PS: was listed at $295AUD but didn't get 1 bidder. Sold as Mistral.

ebay listing here

Old 30th November 2007, 11:58 PM   #5
ArtG is offline ArtG  United States
diyAudio Member

In a time where audio quality in the United States is defined by MP3's, Walkman players and Bose stereo equipment, I would question whether there are 10,000 potential sales in total, much less that amount per month. Sadly, I even wonder if there are 10,000 people that are aware of what high audio quality actually sounds like, anymore!
Old 1st December 2007, 12:13 AM   #6
fauxpas is offline fauxpas  Australia
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtG
Sadly, I even wonder if there are 10,000 people that are aware of what high audio quality actually sounds like, anymore!
True. Depends on the music you listen to though. Thrashy tinny music like my partner's Nightwish sounds god awful on my kit, but sounds great cranked up on the home theatre system with oodles of subwoofer action. What sound ordinary and uninvolving on the home theatre is classical music and opera, which sounds magic on the tube gear.

I have a mate who is a DJ and he wants to audition a valve amp, but with the music he listens to and at those volumes, I'm pretty sure he's going to screw his face up and give me a "what's the fuss about" look...

Also, the quality of the source material is questionable. Downloaded 128k mp3 rips played on a $10 soundcard and thumping computer speakers simply can't compete...
Old 1st December 2007, 12:32 AM   #7
Salas is online now Salas  Greece
diyAudio Chief Moderator

Back before the industrial revolution in the West, the Asian crop yield was so much more prolific per capita VS any European or American farmer's. They are prolific in low tech today too. Audio is low tech. 50 yrs old tech cheap knock off audio is ground level low tech. It sounds good and its our hobby and it has its secrets surely, but not something MIT currently invests on researching. Let em produce. We will all benefit if they rich a decent level that cheap. Kids will never notice anyway. Younger people are spoiled for choice these days. And quality is a time consuming thing. By the time I finish my next to design PSE and wallow in its mids, my niece will be fit for saving NY in HEROES.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:12 AM   #8
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Skype™ to Wavebourn
Default Re: The Magic of a Name

Quote:
Originally posted by 7N7
The unfortunately-named "Full Tat Company" produces some interesting and attractive-looking valve equipment.

Have a look here

What is really scary for the West is that they state that they can produce 10.000 units per month of this nice-looking amplifer!

7N7
It is very possible they can produce such an amount of items. More likely some plant dropped off the original purchaser, like recently happened with Behringer who used to copy brand names ordering copies to manufacture in China. Now the same production appeared on the market without his brand name on it.
Old 1st December 2007, 01:22 AM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by ArtG
In a time where audio quality in the United States is defined by MP3's, Walkman players and Bose stereo equipment, I would question whether there are 10,000 potential sales in total, much less that amount per month. Sadly, I even wonder if there are 10,000 people that are aware of what high audio quality actually sounds like, anymore!
I wonder if there were 10,000 ever. Up until I designed and built my first VT rig a couple of years ago, I sure didn't. That SS amp I was using up till then sounded pretty good. Afterwards, I couldn't stand to listen to the damn thing.

Of course, things weren't much different back in the "good ol' days" either. The vast majority of equipment was designed to be as cheap as possible, with lots of short-cuts that compromised sonics in the process. Cheap, cheap, cheap OPTs, suboptimal power supply filtering, (I actually once dismantled a 6V6 amp that had just one 80uF capacitor across a 5Y3GT as the only ripple filter.). I don't know of a single commercial amp from those days that included active screen voltage regulation that I include in my designs, not even a VR tube. (I strongly suspect that Ultralinear was intended more as a way to cheapen a design as to improve sonics.) Nor do they seem to include grid drivers for finals.

Then, as now, they figured that pouring on the gNFB would "fix" inadequate open loop designs. It doesn't: the feedback that sweeps your mistakes under the rug also sweeps away much of the musical vitality. Has nothing to do with my design philosophy.
Old 1st December 2007, 05:58 PM   #10
Jaime is offline Jaime  Uruguay
diyAudio Member

Tennis ball vacuum tube?

Hide this!Advertise here!