• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

PP bias balance pot

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi,

I just want to ask knowledgeable folks here about this biasing scheme and its application for using an IT (or in this example parafeed L-inverter w/ 2 CT connections)...

This was posted in another forum by Kuei Yang Wang a few years ago:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

To quote him:

"Drawn here is the output stage with hum balance pot and bias balance...

Balance the voltages for the Grids... allows the halves to be separated to inject a few volt positive (in my example with the Amp balanced with perfectly matched valves around 2.4V into each grid) into the grid circuit so that varying this voltage balanced the current."

Questions:

1.) How do you determine that the DC Bias is correctly adjusted?

2.) If I am to use a panel meter on the chassis how should it be wired/configured in the cirucuit and with least sonic penalty?

A friend mentioned I need a Milliameter in between the Plates and the OPT. I could bypass the meter using a switch. Is this the only way? Thank you.

Hi Fred,

A mA-meter seems the solution.
With a switch that allows to measure the current in each plate. And to switch off the measurement circuit when not in use.

In my amp, I use indirect heated tubes (KT66) and I inserted a 1 ohm resistor in series with each cathode. The mV across these resistors give me the current in mA. It is a floating measurement. The cathodes are at 40V!!!

Serge

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.