• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

General Aikido power supply question

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am planning to use 6sn7 for a stereo layout. Using parts I have I hope to achieve this. I can either go with a 330v xformer or a 70v xformer used with a voltage doubler. I like the voltage doubler idea because all of my capacitor's are rated at 250v or lower. My question is this: When using PSUII to design the circuit what value of load should I use(R of the 6sn7 plate?). Upon searching this site I see that with B+ at 300 volts and a cathode resistance of 350R that each tube will draw 10ma. Can some tell me how this is determined? Thanks.

Will do SY. This project is being done simply to educate myself with real world experience using tubes. I have gathered that my lower voltage operating point (~150V) is not ideal for the 6SN7 type tube, but it is what I have available as well as proper voltage rated capacitors. I hope to hear why tubes garner so much respect in the Hi-Fi world with this experiment and if it turns out well I will go full out with a proper build using Mr Broskie's circuit board and such. (That is unless it sounds great the way it is) Thanks for the help and also for pointing me to the Crowhurst articles more than a couple years ago. I still study it when I can.

Mark

I am planning to use 6sn7 for a stereo layout. Using parts I have I hope to achieve this. I can either go with a 330v xformer or a 70v xformer used with a voltage doubler. I like the voltage doubler idea because all of my capacitor's are rated at 250v or lower. My question is this: When using PSUII to design the circuit what value of load should I use(R of the 6sn7 plate?). Upon searching this site I see that with B+ at 300 volts and a cathode resistance of 350R that each tube will draw 10ma. Can some tell me how this is determined? Thanks.

I believe there is some very good information if you do an Aikido search on the board. There is also information on Broskie's site that can be printed and put in a note book for future reference.

If its worth doing its worth doing correctly with a supply that is capable of bringing it to life.

Attached is a good Aikido schematic. I hand built this using 6SN7 tubes with point to point wiring.

Attachments

• aikido 12sn7 6sn7.gif
    aikido 12sn7 6sn7.gif
    8.2 KB · Views: 587
Yep, I know you guys are right. I spent last night thinking about the voltage and dug through my salvaged x-formers and found a nice 190 VAC secondary that should give a good 250V B+ using Broskies recommended cheap route power supply diagram. I will search the site for PS component values that others are using. Thanks and happy holidays!

Aikido Power Supply Module

I am going to build an Aikido line stage using one of John's stereo PCB aikido kit's that he sells on his website.

Being that I am a complete novice, does anyone know of a good power supply module for sale, such that all I would need to do is add an appropriate transorformer?

Thanks

Kris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.