• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

What vintage tube books do you own?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
What vintage tube books do you own?

By "vintage" I mean books that were written in the tube's glory days...from the mid 1920s to the1960s. They can be modern reprints, but written back then.

I own a few, sadly, very few:

Fundamentals of Vacuum tubes, 3rd ed. by A. Eastman, McGraw-Hill 1949. Excellent book that starts with the Edison effect, continues with the construction of the tube itself, discusses high-vacuum and gas-filled tubes, photoelectric and cathode ray tubes. Then it discusses applications: rectifiers, controlled rectifiers, audio amps, RF amps, oscillators, modulators and demodulators. A real jewel!

Radio Engineering, 3rd ed. by F. Terman, McGraw-Hill 1947. Another excellent book, but as it name implies, focuses heavily in the tube's roles in Radio. Most of the book however, deals with antennas, wave propagation, Radar, radio beacons and such. The most valuable chapter is a short one on Television, mostly because it discusses what must have been a cutting edge technology back then.

Receiving Tube Manual by RCA Corp, 1969. This is an Argentinian edition by Editorial Arbo. No need to introduce this one, every engineer worth its salt back then would own one, or a similar book by GE, Sylvania, Mullard, Telefunken, etc.

Honorary mention: Audio Cyclopedia, 2nd ed. by H. Tremaine. H.W. Sams 1969. Although not strictly a tube book, as there are many transistorized circuits and even a hybrid IC, the book's 25 chapters describe all aspects of the state of audio back then, including disc, magnetic and optical recording. What I find fascinating about this book is its presentation of both state-of-the-art and old legacy equipment. It is surprising how some modern technology (i.e. synchronously-rectified switchmode power supplies) have been around for a while, although reed-vibrators were employed instead of Mosfets.

Ex-Moderator
Joined 2003
I have most of the standard/expected texts, but this one is a bit unusual and may have slipped below the audio radar up until now:

"Signal, noise and resolution in nuclear counter amplifiers" A B Gillespie. Pergamon (1953)

Don't be put off by the title - there's some really good stuff in there about noise that's directly applicable to audio.

I think my library is expanding nicely. Plus I've read them all cover to cover!

Elements of Radio. 1952
Foundations of Wireless, 7th ed. 1958,
Fundamentals of Radio-Valve Technique. 1949.
Getting the Most out of Vacuum Tubes, 1960
Handbook of Wireless Telegraphy, Vol I/II. 1938
High Frequency Thermionic Tubes. 1943
Low Frequency Amplification. 1953
The Oxide Coated Cthode, Vol II. 1951
Practical Wireless Encyclopaedia, 13th ed. 1954
Radiotron Designer's Handbook, 4th ed.
Radio Designer's Handbook, 3rd ed.
Radio Engineering, 2nd ed. 1937.
Radio Handbook, 13th ed. 1951
Special Purpose Amplifiers and Oscillators. 1952
Thermionic Valve Circuits, 2nd ed. 1947

I suppose my favourite is "Low frequency amplification". But each book has certain subjects that it does better than others. "Radio Engineering" is very good on some more obscure aspects of component choice. RDH4 has excellent treatment of tone circuits, and always jogs a few ideas in my imagination, but it's not something you can "read" very easily!
"Thermionic valve circuits" is excellent for digestible equation derivations, and a nice quick reference. (A good choice for a newbie I'd say).
And "Getting the Most out of Vacuum Tubes" is an absolute MUST READ for anyone who thinks that valves are fragile little flowers, and who obsess over the myth of standby switches...

Besides the usual classics (Terman, Reich, Langford-Smith, Landee, Seely, Millman, Tomer...), I am the proud owner of a dilapidated "Understanding Hifi Circuits," by Norman Crowhurst. It's not a text, but it's a terrific survey of most of the circuits used in tube audio. And the fabulous RCA "Electron Tube Design."

(tip o' the hat to jlsem, from whom I scored a very nice library)

SY said:
Besides the usual classics (Terman, Reich, Langford-Smith, Landee, Seely, Millman, Tomer...), I am the proud owner of a dilapidated "Understanding Hifi Circuits," by Norman Crowhurst.

I know it is a little harder to come by, but I am surprised that no one has mentioned another classic "Vacuum Tube Amplifiers" by George E. Valley Jr. & Henry Wallman.

-- josé k.

Here are a few more:

The Radio Amateur's Handbook
The Art of Electronics by Horowitz and Hill
Applied Electronics by Gray
High Fidelity Circuit Design by Crowhurst
High Fidelity Techniques by Newitt
Electronic Transformers and Circuits by Reuben Lee
Transformers for Electronic Circuits by Grossner
Vacuum Tubes by Spangenberg
Thermionic Valves by Beck

Van Der Bijl's The Thermionic Vacuum Tube is an excellent early text. Maybe a bit hard to find, but a great read. And, by extension, Maxwell's treatises on electricity and magnetism, which are just beautiful.

Valley and Wallman's Vacuum Tube Amplifiers, volume 18 of the MIT Rad Lab series.

First edition of the Audio Cyclopedia by Howard Tremaine. Lots of useful practical information on recording gear.

And of course, the beloved RCA Radiotron Designer's Handbook... best three bucks at a junk book sale I ever spent!

Ok, here's most of mine.

High Fidelity Techniques - John Newitt 1953
Vacuum Tube Amplifiers - Valley/Wallman 1948 (Rad Lab series - have 19 of 25?)
Tektronix Circuit Concept Series - 1969 (have 18 volumes)
Radio Handbook 17ed - 1967
Radio Amatur's Handbook - several
Electronic & Radio Engeneering - 1955 - Terman
Reference Data for Radio Engeneers 5th ed - ITT
Audio Cyclopedia 1st ed 1959 - Tremaine
Audio Cyclopedia 2nd ed 1969 - Tremaine
Amplifier Handbook - Shea
Active Newtorks - 1954 - Rideout
Radiotron Designers Handbook 3rd ed
Radiotron Designers Handbook 4th ed
Hi Fi Stereo Handbook - 2nd ed 1961 Boyce
Guide Top Audio Reproduction - 1953 Fidelman
Maintaining Hi Fi Equipment - 1956 Marshall
Passive Audio Network Design - 1964 Tremaine
Care & Feeding Of Power Grid Tubes - 1967 Eimac/Varian (also 2003 ed)

Smoking-amp:
Wow, Electronic Transformers & Circuits. Been looking for that one long time.
Also Crowhurst. (turns green w/envy)

Victor

"Reference Data for Radio Engeneers 5th ed - ITT"

Oh Boy; that book should be renamed the Bible of Radio Engineers...... that book saved my bacon once.

I once was on a technical dispute with a most senior engineer of a large Japanese Electronics firm.

I remembered seeing an equation describing the modulation index in that book. Also remembered that a friend of mine had that book. Made a copy, faxed the copy and problem solved.

There is a book that I use a lot that never gets mentioned and it is Basic Electronic Circuits, Second Edition by Donald Leach, published by John Wiley and Sons. It is the best book overall I've found for basic instruction in designing circuits. It explains things like Kirchhoff's Laws, network theorems (Thevenin's, Norton's and Millman's), mesh and node equations (ever wondered what SY was talking about?). AND it has very good chapters on resistance, capacitance and inductance (explains how an inductor stores energy) and it explains power in ac circuits and resonance. I wish everyone a copy of this text for Christmas,

John

P.S. I'll probably get in trouble for crossposting, but I will be putting up for sell some books of which I have duplicates, many of them listed in this thread.

"Smoking-amp:
Wow, Electronic Transformers & Circuits. Been looking for that one long time.
Also Crowhurst. (turns green w/envy)"

I just borrowed them from the library. Whenever the used prices go over $100, I get out the scanner. However, Pete Millett's site has those two available already.

Another big (3 inches thick for 2nd ed. ) reference book (besides ITT one) I found used for cheap is:
"Electronics Designers' Handbook"
1st edition by Landee, Davis, Albrecht 1957
2nd edition by " " " revised by Giacoletto 1977

• Design of High Fidelity Circuits / Crowhurst -- Take this one with quite a few grains of salt and shots of tequila: recommends levels of gNFB that are way excessive.
  • Radiotron Designers Handbook - 4 -- Must have
  • Electronic Amplifier Circuits: Theory and Design -- Covers everything: AF, RF, wideband types.
  • Theory and Application of Electron Tubes -- Descriptions of various "classes" (except C) oscillators, digital circuits, VR tubes.
  • ARRL Handbook (1966)
  • O'scope Techniques / Haas -- Also includes lots of helpful tid-bits all throughout the text in addition to the obvious purpose.

smoking-amp said:
Another big (3 inches thick for 2nd ed. ) reference book (besides ITT one) I found used for cheap is:
"Electronics Designers' Handbook"
1st edition by Landee, Davis, Albrecht 1957
2nd edition by " " " revised by Giacoletto 1977

One of my favorites. Very practical (i.e. useful) information but at an adequate depth.

I'm surprised nobody mentioned my all time favorite fun-reading text:

Alfred A. Ghirardi's "Radio Physics Course," 1930, 1931, 1932. Something of a standard way of analyzing tube circuits emerged fairly early and most texts adopted that perspective, but this book seems to predate that. In truth, 1930 was not all that early in the game, but it seems like a very early book none the less. It's an interesting text and is not too hard to find in the US.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.