• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TB3/1000 is alive ! ("European 833A")

Good morning Reinout,

The Eml are glowing nice...

For the visit,i understand,it`s ok..perhaps you come later,then you are always wellcome..

I`planning to go to Antwerp/Harbour for business the next time (end of July/beginning August),
Then,i would like to visit You,to have a look,and a ear to your audio-gear....;)

For the socket-clamps..can you mail me the contact?

For the Top-caps..i will produce them from TEFLON now..

Greetings

Gerd

NS:yesterday i got 2 100TH (EIMAC) from France,
I connected the Heating.....shoccing...one tube was ok,glows bright 6A...the other was glowing onlydark,but uses 7.5A!!!!!!!

What are you going to do with 100THs? Nice (very nice actually) bottle. The plate structure makes it shine bright. I loved them.

Best thing to do, is to use it as driver for output stages. I biased it at 750V/25ma/-5v (take the numbers as indications). Rp was 18k and I CCS loaded it with mosfets (mu-follower). I try to upload the plate curves. You will find them useful.

The plate gets its cherry colour only at 50W or more.

If you plan to use it as an output tube you will need to (run it in class A2) use quite a good amount of feedback. There must be a Shishido amp somewhere in the internet.

I have a 304TL whose half filament doesn't light up... I don't know why. Expert anyone?

Gianluca

Attachments

• 100th_plate_curves.jpg
    100th_plate_curves.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 1,221
Bona sera Gluca ;)

Thanks for your usefull details and the curves.

I will take the 100TH for an Outputtube in A2,
I think 1kv ,zerovoltbias..i have to try it...

if you want continue with the 100TH,we should open a new thread.
This one is for the TB3/1000.

Greetings

Gerd

abroad again

Hi Fred,

sorry for the late reply. Currently i am in Afghanistan again. It is not possible to have the constant availability of computers/connections.

Regarding to your tube-request: "yes" and "maybe".
Yes: i have them in stock. I bought 26 of them. 6 were passed to an audio-partner. His amplifier is almost up-and-running (and it dwarfs my amp.....). So 20 left

Maybe: i suppose these tubes are about the only ones available. My source (CIEL) does not seem to have them any more ? So if this stash is gone...it's gone. Of course i could always switch back to 833's or to SFR E1200's or to TY 4-250's. But i do like the build- quality of the TB3-1000.
Then the next question: the price. I really have no idea what to ask for. I will not accept CIEL-prices; obvious. But i don't know what to ask.

And as i am not even in the currently you still have to wait a couple of months.

You are planning a amplifier with this tube ? Great; another addict !

Regards, Reinout

TB3/1000

Hello Reinout,

Afghanistan again? wow!!, okay i'll wait then and yes i saw your projekt and i thougt, i must build it!!hehe.
I have now the standard 300b amp also diy( western electric tubes) and it sounds great.
But i need more power! the opt is made by AE electronics by Wil himself. with a C-core it's gonna be HUGE!!!

Greetz Fred

Visit ?!

Ha Frederick,

i'm looking forward to a visit (when i return).
I do like AE transformers. They are not in this project but in other projects they are.

Do you already made your mind up about the schematic ?
You're right: working with these voltages is no starters-project.

As said: you have to wait some time. But after i'm back.....you're more than welcome !

Regards,
Reinout

MAVs

Hi Reinout,

Nice to read you:)

How are you?

Look here:

http://picasaweb.google.com/swl1952/MAV#

My MAVs in "Full flight"........

They are running now since last week...OK,they are not really

ready,,,the Stoneframes are still missing:-(

First i took the 833 vom China with Carbonanode....OK ,not bad...

then i took the GU48 NOS from good old Russia......

splendid build like the TB3/1000 and really great sounding,

not compareable to the China-833

They also have ZIRKONIUM-ANODES like the TB.....

Next time,i also will try the TB3/1000 and .we will see.....

You Know,you have to visit me....ok?

When are you back in NL?

i hope soon,and in best health.

Best regards

Gerd

PS,i lost your mailaddy (pc-crash),please write me:

gerd.kurz@gmx.de

swl1952,

Could you tell all of us more about your amplifier? What operation point are you using for the 833A? Also, how are you driving the grid of the 833A? Maybe a schematic would be interesting to look at. Thanks for sharing your pictures. Your amplifier looks very nice.

Rgs, JLH

contact

Hi Gerd,

if everything goes according to plan i shall be back during the summer holiday. And than i WILL go first on holiday.

Rest assured...i will come to visit. And the pictures of the amplifiers are only underlining that intent. Congratulations with the result !

I can give you my home-email adress.....but i can not use this here. Currently i use a temporary hotmail-account. Nice....but i'll send you the correct adress when i'm back.

In the meantime there were some small modifications to my amplifier (added a noise absorbing transformer hood on a coil; consisting of 12 kg of lead.....). And the other amplifiers based on the same schematic but with other tubes are going OK. The EL82 amplifier is already running (with good results), the 35TG amp...underway.

Regards and till a couple of months,
Reinout

Iam building an induction heater simular to claude paillard's induction heater, but I still need a TB3/1000; Ciel is a little pricey so iam hopeing to find one I can afford. has any one here seen how claude makes his own homemade vacume tubes! its so cool! its not too far for me to start building my own tubes! I just need help finding a tube. I dont mind pay for a tube, just not quite as much as Ciel. 145 euros!

Attachments

• image000.jpg
    image000.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 850
Humm gone

Good afternoon all,

returned from Afghanistan again. And now back to audio !
This means not only travelling to audio-collegues (Gerd finished his 833A....more than interesting !) but also doing my own projects.

One of the "things-to-do" was to get rid of the hummmmmmmmm from the B+ coil in the amplifiers. They hummed; which was not really surprisingly for i'm pushing 240 mA at 1200 V through those 10H coils. Although they were not featherweights (E126X70) you noticed a buzz; and felt it when you touched them. The endbells were of simple metal; way to this....this give already a buzz. And the space between the coil and the endbell was a perfect resonator. This had to change !

1. Coil was taken off
2. a metal housing was made (very tight fitting)
3. this housing was filled with more than 10 kilo of lead
4. coil inserted and filled with 2 component casting resin
5. at the stainless steel stud rubber vibration absorbers were fixed
6. 17.7 kilo.....and there is silence......

Pictures included.
It's good to be back. In the meantime my EL82-triode amplifier is also finished. Works great.

Regards,
Reinout

Attachments

• 300_1458.jpg
    300_1458.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 753
  • IMG_7211.JPG
    IMG_7211.JPG
    110.4 KB · Views: 745
  • IMG_7214.JPG
    IMG_7214.JPG
    71.7 KB · Views: 736
reply to question

Good evening Jerrymouse,

the 833A is a great tube (when driven properly...like all output tubes) but compared to the TB3/1000 lacks some refinement.
Bass and power are serious with the 833A (and 833C as well). The TB3/1000 is at least on par at those qualities and gives better insight with stereo / staging / presence. It seems like it is more musical ?

It does not mean the 833A is wrong. On the contrary ! It is a very nice triode. But IF you have the choice go for the TB3/1000. Problem with those tubes is the availability whereas the 833A is readily available (NOS, equivalents or new).

Are you planning to build an amplifier with one of those beasts ? Yes it will be a lot of work. But when ready the finished result is GREAT and you will be the proud owner of some serious music-making-device.

Regards,
Reinout

Attachments

• IMG_8901.JPG
    IMG_8901.JPG
    101.3 KB · Views: 501