• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

TB3/1000 is alive ! ("European 833A")

Morning Reinout...or now in A.:Guten Mittag:)..how u like to say in the beautiful Netherlands...

Thanks for your information and your nice offer to help me with the connectors....in the meantime,i will take these ceramic 9mm common-connectors,and wait,until u are back in NL...

On the pic,u see the 833C heated,and with the cinese Socket,ant top-connectors....
Greetings..
Gerd

Attachments

• 833c 001-4.jpg
    833c 001-4.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 1,701
Orpheus

korneluk said:
Guten Morgen Gerd,

When you're done building the TB3/1000/833C amp maybe you can sell me that beautiful Sennheiser Orpheus headphone amp in the background.... ;)

Danke,

-- josé k.

Hi Jose`.....du sprichst Deutsch....Suuper...
Sorry,i dont sell the Orpheus....I use it for "reference-hearing"...
I got it many years before from my friend "Gerhard Haas", "Experience-Electronics"
who designed and built these items for sennheiser....
Greetings
Gerd

;)

Na ja Gerd

Ich schreibe mal ein bisschen Deutsch...habe ein Deutsche Freundin. Sie sprecht Niederlandisch, aber ihre Eltern sprechen nur Deutsch...und Russisch :D

(I write a bit of German...as I have a German girlfrien. She speaks Dutch, but her parents only speak German...and Russian).

I am curious as how your project evolves. Please kept us updated, just as Reinoud did, and does.

Erik

ErikdeBest said:
Na ja Gerd

Ich schreibe mal ein bisschen Deutsch...habe ein Deutsche Freundin. Sie sprecht Niederlandisch, aber ihre Eltern sprechen nur Deutsch...und Russisch :D

(I write a bit of German...as I have a German girlfrien. She speaks Dutch, but her parents only speak German...and Russian).

I am curious as how your project evolves. Please kept us updated, just as Reinoud did, and does.

Erik

Hi Erik...
Dein Deutsch ist sehr gut.....
aber,ich möchte betonen,dass dies in erster Linie das Projekt von REINOUT ist....er brachte mich erst auf die Idee....und er ist schon viel viel weiter.....
Liebe Grüsse auch an deine Freundin aus dem sonnigen Bayern..
Gerd

;)

Hi Gerd

This weekend was also quite nice here in the Netherlands. I spent part of the afternoon in the garden, listening to the soccer fans commemorating the championship from PSV - Eindhoven, 4th on row.

I wrote that I will be watching your project as I already read quite a lot on that from Reinoud, and now I want to see someone else's work! I am also curious as to the output iron you will be using: it seems I already know the source!

For the moment I have enough work getting a proper driver (read: small power amp) stage for such a beast to work correctly. Afterwards it is simple...just attach the 120R (random value) output of this power amp to the 833 and fire it up :D

Erik

audio-gathering ?

Hello Erik,

of course you're more than welcome. but....you have to wait a couple of months .

after my tour-of-duty here i have a couple of weeks to spare (leisure time). I'll need that....and there is room for an audio-gathering.

i live nearby the a15/A50; so it's quite easy to reach.

We'll stay in contact.

Grtz,
Reinout

Driver-amp

ErikdeBest said:
Hi Gerd

This weekend was also quite nice here in the Netherlands. I spent part of the afternoon in the garden, listening to the soccer fans commemorating the championship from PSV - Eindhoven, 4th on row.

I wrote that I will be watching your project as I already read quite a lot on that from Reinoud, and now I want to see someone else's work! I am also curious as to the output iron you will be using: it seems I already know the source!

For the moment I have enough work getting a proper driver (read: small power amp) stage for such a beast to work correctly. Afterwards it is simple...just attach the 120R (random value) output of this power amp to the 833 and fire it up :D

Erik

Hi Erik,
Please explain your "SMALL POWER AMP"
Which tubes?,which Design?
If you wind the OPT with 2!!!! secundary windings...one for 8Ohm,the second for 200Ohm,you can use the amp afterwards easy to drive the TB3/1000,because the OPT is then a interstage.....

Greetings
Gerd

;)

Hi Gerd

That is exactly what I meant: for the moment I don't have the experience, the money and the room to even think about such a big project...but in the meanwhile I can work on smaller power amps (around 10W) and once I find something really nice order a transformer with a double secondary, that could either work as an OPT for a speaker (for background music) - or as interstage for a 833/TB3-1000 for the 'big work'.

That are just ideas...

Liebe gruesse, Erik

Hi Erik....

That are just ideas...,u said...

I think ,Erik, that are good ideas....
If u need any help..ask...

Tschüss
Gerd

Hi Reinout,

Jippiiieee
just arrived 4 TB3/1000 from France...
They are original? stamped "PHILIPS".....
but i thought,they have Carbon-Anodes like the 833C fro China,but the Anodes are from steel... It looks like Carbon..grey-strukture,but it is ca 1mm Steel...
Is it normal?
the interne structure looks like your tubes..much better than the 833Cs...

Greetings

Gerd;)

TB3/1000 description

Hi Gerd,

no worries with your TB3/1000. They are just as they supposed to be. They don't have a graphite anod but a steel on. i do believe that it is actually molybdenium-steel....but please let me check on that for i have the complete Philips-description of these items at my home.

As you will notice there is no barium getterflash. The getter-function is done by a zirconium-coating on the anode. This is a very effective way of gettering....but expensive to make and not very healthy. It is currently seen as a old-fashioned (but VERY good) way. A remark: the zirconium getter works if it is really heated. So these tubes (like the 100TH, 35TG, 250TL.....and all other larger transmitting tubes) must always be at least have a red-blush while working. If you check out the old guarentee card that accompanies the older tubes you will see the wonderfull sentence : "this device does work properly when a cherrish red glow is visible; it is not a sign of malfunction".

All my TB3/1000's are straight from Philips. I have 2 different stampings. Both have TB3/1000 and PHILIPS. One has a 12V- leadstamp on it; the other a AIR-leadstamp. so obviously militairy stuff;

But again....no worries. The tubes are ok the way you describes them.

grtz,
Reinout

Re: TB3/1000 description

ReinoutdV said:
Hi Gerd,

no worries with your TB3/1000. They are just as they supposed to be. They don't have a graphite anod but a steel on. i do believe that it is actually molybdenium-steel....but please let me check on that for i have the complete Philips-description of these items at my home.

As you will notice there is no barium getterflash. The getter-function is done by a zirconium-coating on the anode. This is a very effective way of gettering....but expensive to make and not very healthy. It is currently seen as a old-fashioned (but VERY good) way. A remark: the zirconium getter works if it is really heated. So these tubes (like the 100TH, 35TG, 250TL.....and all other larger transmitting tubes) must always be at least have a red-blush while working. If you check out the old guarentee card that accompanies the older tubes you will see the wonderfull sentence : "this device does work properly when a cherrish red glow is visible; it is not a sign of malfunction".

All my TB3/1000's are straight from Philips. I have 2 different stampings. Both have TB3/1000 and PHILIPS. One has a 12V- leadstamp on it; the other a AIR-leadstamp. so obviously militairy stuff;

But again....no worries. The tubes are ok the way you describes them.

grtz,
Reinout

Hi Reinout....
Thanks for your reply....now i can come down.....
I also had a look to the Hifi-tunes Website...With your audio-system. REALLY GREAT...
The pics there have high resolution,and i compered with your TB3/1000......its exactly the same tube...
All my tubes have the AIR-Stamp,are new,but not in original boxes...
I changed the chinese-833-sockets...perfect...Heating is great...
tomorrow,i post a pic in your thread...here

Greetings

;)

TB3/1000 anode material

Hello Gerd,

just returned from Afghanistan........

And as promised i would find out what the actual anode material of the TB3/1000 was. And it was a quite easy search for these Philips tubes are very well described in a classic series of books in the Netherlands "Zendbuizen" (= transmitting tubews) by Ir J.P Heyboer for the Philips Technical Library.

The anode material is molybdene for this can withstand the much higher filament heath. Nickel has a melting point of 1450 C; molybdene 2600 C. Besides that molybdene is quite easy to work with; in contrast to tungsten. There is a drawback.....the price....
Sometimes tantal is also used.

And crosschecked the gettering-item again: also this triode has a zirconium-getter (grey/silver powder on the anode; so NO barium getter-flash on the glass).

Grtz and happy building !
And of course you're still welcome

Regards,
Reinout

Hi Reinout,

Thank god,that you are back from Afghanistan...
and thank you for the important informations about the TB3/1000...
i think,i have to stress the TB3/1000 hard with 250W Anode-dissipation.
I will start this week to build the Amps.

I will keep you informed with pics.

In my head is already the ca design for my next Amp:

Stereo-amp:
input-tranny-ECC99 SRPP-Inerstagetranny-100TH-OPT-10-20W Outputpower.
But i`m not sure,how to run the 100TH....

You already built one,i saw the pics in the IT.

Greetings..

Gerd:)

Schematic ?

Hello Gerd,

while the new driver-tubes (EML 300B XLS and Mesh) are currently burning-in i'm looking through all the audio-magazines that arrived last months........so it's really holiday here !

So your building phase is about to start; great ! What kind of schematic do you use ? Do you have all your components available ? Do you need anything ?

As these weeks are not to full (my girlfriend has to work) i have time to look for items.

If you send the schematic (please use my private email-adress: reinout.devries AT chello.nl) i can see what i still have here in my parts-drawers. Lots of nice Caddock-resistors....very handy when working with high voltage stuff. This brand can take serious abuse. And is non-inductive......quite important with the amount of transformers that will be installed.

Grtz,
Reinout

Attachments

• img_5232.jpg
    img_5232.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 1,400
Hi Reinout,

How are the EML300B XLS and the MESH?
I use the JJ 300B or the FULLMUSIC-300B MESH-GLOBE..
Both are ok in my opinion for the Price,what do you mean?

OK..the "SCHEMATIC" is still in my head....i will do a drawing in weekend,and mail to you...but in the moment i`m very busy...

for the parts..thanks a lot for your offer to help me....indeed ,i need the 4 topcaps,i have only these cheap parts from China...
If you have those caps...tell me,what do you want for these...

in the middle of AUGUST,my company is 2 weeks closed....i look forward,to see you in my house,as a guest,of course with your girlfriend,and you can stay overnight,my house is big enough,i live there only with my daughter..5cats and two rabbits:))..and lot of audio and ham-gear..

Greetings

Gerd

visit

Good morning Gerd,

never tried the JJ.....
But i had the Full Music mesh. For the price that was a nice tube....till i encountered the Valve Art 98C. A somewhat tighter bassline....for even less money.......

The EML's are doing OK. I've made a seperate thread on those.

For the visit: we're not going to south-Germany. I'm more than happy to stay home (after these last months). And i thought you would visit me.....in order to listen to the TB3/1000. It's up to you.

I'll look through the parts-drawers to see if i have those tube-sockets/clamps. But i know there is a place an hour driving of here where you can buy those items. Don't know the price......

The topcaps are home made by a collegue of mine; not for sale.

Grtz,
Reinout
(looking forward to the schematic)

Attachments

• img_6442.jpg
    img_6442.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 1,319