Vacuum tube tester, do you own one? - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 15th November 2007, 12:53 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Vacuum tube tester, do you own one?

Do you own a vacuum tube tester?
If so, what make and model?

I just got my hands on an EICO 628. It is only an emission-type tester (I can't afford the dynamic transconductance ones!), but it is in a pristine condition, and with some small refurbishing it should be as good as new.
Old 15th November 2007, 02:07 AM   #2
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

I am interested in testers; sadly I no longer have one.

As an Englishman, of course I had an English tester, an AVO 163, which has a good reputation in England.

I do not know much about American valve testers; can we see a picture of your EICO?

7N7
Old 15th November 2007, 02:30 AM   #3
riffer3 is offline riffer3  Canada
diyAudio Member

I've got one on my "To Buy" list
Old 15th November 2007, 02:54 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

Your Eico tester may be the first tube tester I ever owned. Either that or a 625, Can't remember. But over the years I've owned many different types. Currently I have:

For receiving tubes:
Hickok USM-118B cardmatic (my favorite because it's fast)
Hickok 539C (my favorite manual type)
Hickok 1575B (similar to 539C w/cathode bias resistors)
Hickok 752A
B&K 700 (also easy and fast setup)
2 Tektronix 570 curvetracers (late round corner versions w/5K+ S/Ns)

For transmitting/industrial tubes:
A rack mounted system, with various plug-in sockets, for steady class-A tests up to 1500 watts input. (<5kv) Gm is measured with a 1Khz 1v reference signal. All elements are monitored.

A second rack mounted pulse system (<2500v) for 2500 watt tubes and up. Peak amps measured with sample & hold peak detector. (analoge meter) Maximum filament power is 200 amps or 1500 watts. (The limit of my AC mains.) This system also tests large rectifiers and thyratrons on a CRT display using isolated AC. (<10amps)

I could put up a pix or two if anyone is curious. (Yes, I've been doing this a long time)

Victor
"I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when it's components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers. That is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." ~Stephen Hawking
Old 15th November 2007, 03:00 AM   #5
diyAudio Member

I have two tube testers around here somewhere. One is an Eico, and the other is a Hickok. Both are mutual conductance type. I use the Hickok occasionally. I have found that when testing a batch of random used tubes about 5% of tubes that tested good in the tester had problems when used in an amplifier. The usual problem is high distortion, low gain, or low output. When the tube tester says the tube is bad, it usually is.

If I have a bunch of the same tube to test, I will rig up a test fixture that biases up the tube to a reasonable current and runs a signal through the tube. The output goes to a scope and a distortion analyzer. The distortion readings vary a lot for some tube types, and are a lot closer for others. 6AU6's in triode are all over the place.
Old 15th November 2007, 04:58 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bassrogue
I have a Hickok model 800 tester that I use most of the time and a Heathkit model 21 for backup. The Hickok is a mutual conductance tester.
Old 15th November 2007, 06:19 AM   #7
diyAudio Member

I have a small Eico, but I don't remember the number. Works well, but I always remember the advice given in the old Tektronix manuals- don't rely on the results from a tube tester. If the tube works in the circuit, it's good. To test, swap the tube in question with a known good tube.
Old 15th November 2007, 06:32 AM   #8
Colt45 is offline Colt45  Serbia
diyAudio Member

Send a message via ICQ to Colt45
hickok 800 or 800A.. i forget
Old 15th November 2007, 12:42 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by 7N7
I am interested in testers; sadly I no longer have one.

As an Englishman, of course I had an English tester, an AVO 163, which has a good reputation in England.

I do not know much about American valve testers; can we see a picture of your EICO?

7N7

Sure! Just give me a couple of days and I will do so.
Old 15th November 2007, 01:04 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

HollowState:
you really have some awesome artillery!
I wish I could afford half of what you got.

But between sound reproduction and my other hobby (my wife calls it a mental disease),photography, I have my resources stretched thin.

Hide this!Advertise here!