• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

AH NJoe TJOEB, valve compatibility issue

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I have a AH NJoe tjoeb 4000 CD player, and running it are a lovely pair of old, (now even older) at the time new stock, Telefunken EC88/6DJ8,s.

Im cringing and waiting for them to give up the ghost, as it has been 4 years since i bought them.

They have been used many times, and they sound beautiful. So, I searched on the web for some info, on compatible tubes, one guy quoted on a post , "you can try any tube with the AH, as the Tubes only add colour to the sound, and do not have a major functional role. any valves with a 9 pin, will work!.

So, looking for some fun I bought a cheap pair of ECC83/12ax7 JJ /Tesla Amplifier Valves. just as a standby, and tryout pair, until i can afford some better ones.

On power up, there was a mush of muffled fluttering distorted sound, and i switched it off sharply. I have some stock philips tubes, Jan 9772. They and the Telefunkens work perfectly.

Were the tubes incompatible?, are or the tubes a crock of ****, or have i been told the wrong advice?.

Any comments would be greatly appreciated, i am just happy that my Cd player still works, but googling has not been to fruitful, for the 3 hours i have searched for a list of compatible valves

thanks for any answers:)

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Wrong advice.. The only nine pin tubes that will work are ones related to the 6DJ8 family with the same pinout. The ECC81-83 family are not compatible..

Some that might be (At least they are plug compatible):

6BK7
6922 (US Industrial type. Amperex good)
7308 (US Industrial type. Amperex and Sylvania generally good)
6N1P (Russian type has higher filament current)
E88CC (SQ Amperex, Philips Miniwatt)
JJ ECC88

Old Tektronix tube scopes often have scores of Telefunken 6DJ8 in them. In my experience these tubes are pretty long lived so you may yet have years of life left in the pair you have.

I have found in some instances that 6BK7 sound pretty good in applications calling for 6DJ8, but this is not universally the case. They are very inexpensive and hence worth trying.

:cannotbe: eeek, everytime i ask something on here its for reasons of me nearlly destroying my hifi, but luckily its all working ok, and thanks Kevin for that info. I am now looking at some 6BK7,s on ebay, they look so cheap it would be worth the fun.

but i do hope my telefunkens last a long while, as, once that sound dies, its gone, unless i could ever find some Telefunken 1968 vintage ECC88. Maybe.

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
AuroraB said:
I wouldn't bother with Ebay for this...
A couple of premium ones should be around 30£ from a regular supplier - cheaper ones down to maybe 10 £ pair.
There shold be plenty of them in old yUK.....

Around here eBay is pretty much the only choice, no local hifi tube vendors and the MI crowd sell current production tubes at highway robbery sorts of prices. I do buy from New Sensor when I need current stuff, but that's not often given what I use in my projects.

Actually, the same can be said of here, its cheaper for me to buy from the netherlands, germany, and eastern europe, than the, cant even say local, suppliers. As they are miles away and way overpriced.

Well, as you gave me a list of tubes that are compatible, for the Ah njoe Tjoeb, Kevin, i bought some cheap valves off ebay.
Not as a serious replacement for the Telefunkens, as when the times comes, i will spend , im sure a £100 on them both, at least.

but i found these, and if they sound better than my philips, Jan 6992's that come with my Tjoeb, i will be mildly happy.

6BK7 GENERAL ELECTRIC , two for £8 (new old stock)

6N1P-Vi / 6N1P Vi / ECC88 Russian Tube NOS MATCHED QUAD £10, New old stock, but worth a go

Electro-Harmonix 6922 GOLD PLATED PINS Valves £20, per pair, (heard some good feedback about these, i think these may do as stand ins, when the telefunkens die.

As i say just a bit of fun, as I have also, posted elsewhere about the Telefunken ECC88's, and many people reckon, that they will last a while yet. im just happy they lasted this long
:)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.