mercury vapor... i love it!!! - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 12th November 2007, 03:38 PM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default mercury vapor... i love it!!!

hi friends, I wanted to have a little more information about these tubes, i want to build a SE with the gm70 or 100th, and i need of an high voltage rectifier, I love the blue light of these tube!
i don't have problems to get large capacitors, this is a problem for the tube rectifier, true?

It's better for you a CLC with a biginductanze or a CLC with a little inductanze but big capacitors?

and What is for you a valve with a beautiful light? and do you have photos of these tubes in operation?

866a or 3b28 are good? or is little for my amp?
I have see a 872a, it's good for me?
thanks andrea
Old 12th November 2007, 03:47 PM   #2
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

Default MUHAHAHA

Do you mean something like this?

Here is my 100TH CCS loaded (DN2540 cascode) into a parafeed GM70.

Nice tubes. Lovely sound. I am planning to build a preamplifier with those 100THs.

OH! Mercury rectifers DONT like cap input filters. What you need are chokes. 3B28 does not have that blue glow but you dont need to warm the filaments up. 872A is way too big.

Ciao
Gianluca
Old 12th November 2007, 03:51 PM   #3
diyAudio Member

866 and 3B28 are electrically the same, but 866 uses mercury whereas 3B28 uses Xenon gas. This also means that the 3B28 only needs to heat up a few seconds and not a half minute like the mercury vapor rectifiers. On the other hand it is said that the gas rectifiers produce more HF noise.

Personally I like the 3B28 very much, because of the violet purple glow. I always heat them up with a cheap SNT, actually designed for 12V halogen spots. You will only need two windings for the 2,5V.

Click the image to open in full size.

Regards, Simon
Old 13th November 2007, 02:55 AM   #4
GaryW is offline GaryW  United States
diyAudio Member

I have a 300B PP amp with a pair of 866As. I did have 83's but like the glow of and availability the 866's more. Here's a picture with the 83's....

Old 13th November 2007, 04:25 AM   #5
Carlp is offline Carlp  United States
diyAudio Member

Mercury...bad stuff even if you like the blue color. I'm intrigued by the 3b28 xenon version though. Few environmental side effects that I can find, basically inert, but I have read about its use for generating ultraviolet light. Anyone know anything about these tubes? Any concern re: UV light?

Carl
Old 13th November 2007, 07:25 AM   #6
diyAudio Member

only 866a?
the 3b28 is good for me, it have 500ma and 1-2second to start, but i have a gm70 for the final, it need time to heat up... there are annother tube with more light of a 866 and more current?
Old 13th November 2007, 10:56 AM   #7
Gluca is offline Gluca  Italy
diyAudio Member

EIMAC RX21
Old 13th November 2007, 11:10 AM   #8
7N7 is offline 7N7  United Kingdom
diyAudio Member

Here's a snap I have on my computer

I do not know who made the picture; of course I will acknowledge the author if possible.

7N7
Old 13th November 2007, 01:14 PM   #9
diyAudio Member

Quote:
Originally posted by the_manta
866 and 3B28 are electrically the same, but 866 uses mercury whereas 3B28 uses Xenon gas.

Xenon rectifiers don't sound good at all to my ears. Purple glow?! The only reason some of us suffer with mercury is the sound.
Old 13th November 2007, 04:36 PM   #10
diyAudio Member

Carl said:
Quote:
Mercury...bad stuff even if you like the blue color. I'm intrigued by the 3b28 xenon version though. Few environmental side effects that I can find, basically inert, but I have read about its use for generating ultraviolet light. Anyone know anything about these tubes? Any concern re: UV light?
It is my understanding, from what I have read, is that detrimental short wavelength UV is stopped by the glass.

Victor

Hide this!Advertise here!