• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

youtube - tubes!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Richard Ellis said:
Not only does he drip his solder and make lousy joints but his lead trimmings are terrible.
_____________________________________Rick.........:clown:

I don't think that was quite the point.. ;) Now I wish I understood at least a little Japanese.. The world of Japanese tube audio is largely lost to the West..

I have about a dozen MJ currently, and one issue of this magazine has close to the same number of articles in it as an entire year AE. Tells you how seriously they take the hobby in Japan..

I was a bit surprised at Sakuma San's solder iron, I figure given the investment in tubes, transformers, speakers, etc. He could have afforded a slightly better solder iron.. :confused:

This guy is quite well respected amongst the cognoscenti, and I have heard a few amplifiers based on his designs.. Good sounding..

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
japanese passion ;

it just seems to us that he solder with that iron ;

I can bet that that iron isn't important to him at all ........ at least not in way usual to us ;

man who listen mono, who ( beside other things ) place his lowther in a barrel , have his own vision of sound and electronic .

just look again that video and see how he's looking that 6SN7-ish tube...... ;)

somewhere in "beyond the ariel" thread ( if I rem. corr.) Lyn sez few words about his experience during visit to Sakuma's restaurant...

well - I can't find that post now (sleezy search function is somewhat in fight with me :clown: ) , and I can't be sure that Lyn was in question ..... but point is - when you live your passion, it really doesn't matter how that looks to other ......

just think how common DiyA fellow looks to common normal guy ......

obsessed freak , no doubt

:rofl:

I have a mate

I have a friend who designs amps which sound harsh and brittle but he likes them. He is obsessed with tinning his soldering iron and is constantly at me about my trashy iron which is temperature controlled ok maybe its not a haturi hanzo iron but it works.
My point is this guys Zen is about the sound not the mechanics of soldering.. i can kind of dig that and when he dies he wont be too worried about having left pristine records for some dude to buy at AKE HABRE ( i have a mate who went there in tokyo and it is amazing according to him)
I admire him for his legend.. sure I can solder better than him but i cant design like him
Thats my zens worth

I guess I don't understand, what is it, a Restaurant, or is it his residence or what?
Are the amps all hooked up & runnable or are they just a static display?
To each his own I guess.
An obsession can take many forms......how many is too many?
Does he work? Is he a design engineer? Is he retired? I don't need to take on another language....
Me...I just want to create a real nice setup ...and would like to make some of my "creations" available to others.
It seems he is not really into the "art" of chassis or the like.
?????????????????????
_____________________________________Rick..............

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
He is not doing anything weird in my view. He must produce many many special orders, he is very promotive of his craft and fetish. And those amps must be returning to him very good cash. Look at them, they are so loaded with Tamura, they can break a back and a bank. So he will solder fast with a heavy iron since he uses very chunky parts. I am sure he has got glorious midrange and warmth and overtones. He is the hands on craftsman long lost variety. Like building handcrafted musical instruments. Save the aesthetics in his approach. After experimenting with 1000 tube types, 1000 topologies, and after making 1000 amps you get a sound that is beguiling to humans and you know what counts most in your method. He is a cooker. Not a scientist. Why he listens in mono? Simple. He builds his sound around his space. Where to listen in stereo in there? He just never developed it. And what? Build 2 times the monster zillion amps? Give him a break. Nothing Zen in that. He cant afford to touch stereo the way he is organized.
The main thing to know from such people, is that music replay must be human centric. If we never forget to mix the original purpose of the craft (to sooth our souls it is) with some real science and order too, then we can do better. He is extreme, and a guy with a harsh sounding shiny class D amp just playing audiophile cd's is extreme too. Real advance lives in balance. All the ingredients, all the cultures. Some open source human centric logic is all its needed. We are too materialistic in the west, thats our problem. We watch the equipment more and brag about them more than we care to live with them and listen to them.

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
salas said:
He is not doing anything weird in my view. He must produce many many special orders, he is very promotive of his craft and fetish. And those amps must be returning to him very good cash. Look at them, they are so loaded with Tamura, they can break a back and a bank. So he will solder fast with a heavy iron since he uses very chunky parts. I am sure he has got glorious midrange and warmth and overtones. He is the hands on craftsman long lost variety. Like building handcrafted musical instruments. Save the aesthetics in his approach. After experimenting with 1000 tube types, 1000 topologies, and after making 1000 amps you get a sound that is beguiling to humans and you know what counts most in your method. He is a cooker. Not a scientist. Why he listens in mono? Simple. He builds his sound around his space. Where to listen in stereo in there? He just never developed it. And what? Build 2 times the monster zillion amps? Give him a break. Nothing Zen in that. He cant afford to touch stereo the way he is organized.
The main thing to know from such people, is that music replay must be human centric. If we never forget to mix the original purpose of the craft (to sooth our souls it is) with some real science and order too, then we can do better. He is extreme, and a guy with a harsh sounding shiny class D amp just playing audiophile cd's is extreme too. Real advance lives in balance. All the ingredients, all the cultures. Some open source human centric logic is all its needed. We are too materialistic in the west, thats our problem. We watch the equipment more and brag about them more than we care to live with them and listen to them.

well ......... you are certainly Greek ....

;)

It looks like the whole generation of builders and manufacturers was/is influenced by transformer coupling also because of medial noise around Sakuma a few years back . AN UK best and most expensive products are transformer coupled and many other manufacturers follow. I'd like to try myself but cost is prohibitive (estimate $3k USD for single amp in parts ) and if not Tamura than it is not Sakuma amp .Thats why there are not many builders (personally I don't know/heard of anybody on DiY scene who built truly Sakuma amp) I do have a spectacular fluid damping arm which Sakuma used to use with DL 102 ,Thorens TD124 and I'm planning on building something in that fashion with maybe UTC iron . If you have any 211 design please let me know;)

Help please.

With a slooooooow dial up the only way I can watch U-tube videos is to downlodad them taking sometimes an hour or more. After investing that much time I would like to save the `movie` on my hard drive. I use Windoz XP Pro. Can anyone tell me please how I can save the movie file? Do I have to be a member or something for that option to present itself to me?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.