• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

6H13C preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
well - after much time spendidng in Pass board , mocking with multilegged fuses , I think that's time for da toobz again :clown:

I scavenged ( for start ,looking for more ) 4 pcs of 6H13C russkies ;)

that's nothing else than 6AS7 in cyrilic mode :clown: .

after my latest ( ages ago) tube preamp - WOT with EC8010 , I have some thoughts about completely different animal - choke loaded 6H13C line stage .........

any comments ?

I found graphs , so ( for now) I don't need any help........

who knows - maybe I'm just in the mood for little chat regarding topic

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
kevinkr said:
I've heard choke loaded 6AS7G based line stages as well as several other variants and they sounded excellent.

Another odd one to consider is the 2A3 - same builder as above swears by them and imo it was also very good.

Hope that is some encouragement.. :D

well ......... tnx for encouragement ........ ;)

anyway - I'll wait at least 2 weeks to receive my new toys ..... plenty of time for chat

:clown:

I tried to build a preamp with a CCS loaded 6080, and I could not get it quiet for the life of me. I tried about a dozen different tubes, and all were noisy in different ways, but in the end, all were noisy. My favorite was the one that was so microphonic I could talk into it and be heard clearly. Anyhow, this was one of the first projects I ever attempted, so there is a good probability that there were things I was doing wrong, so your luck may be better.

Pete Millett's similar experiments might be useful http://pmillett.com/lowmu_preamp.htm

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
dsavitsk said:
I tried to build a preamp with a CCS loaded 6080, and I could not get it quiet for the life of me. I tried about a dozen different tubes, and all were noisy in different ways, but in the end, all were noisy. My favorite was the one that was so microphonic I could talk into it and be heard clearly. Anyhow, this was one of the first projects I ever attempted, so there is a good probability that there were things I was doing wrong, so your luck may be better.

Pete Millett's similar experiments might be useful http://pmillett.com/lowmu_preamp.htm

tnx for link ;

anyway - judginng from my experience with WOT line preamp, choke or OPT loaded stage is completely different animal than CCS loaded ;

why is that - I can say just few already known facts , but there are few more things still hard to explain....... except mentioning one term ( for which I'm not sure that I coined it by my self or I read somewhere about ) , and that's signal energy preservation........

in any case - I would not try it with CCS . plain ole choke , to squeeze last ounce of life and detail from that low mu

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
waiting for da toobz to arrive and thinking how to stash more , I'm thinking also about power amps with these tubes .....

trilema:

using iron from ancient Iskra cinema monoblocs (PP EL34 , 5Kaa) , drekin' Yves for pair (if I choose to use them in SE) , or maybe even these ....... (look attached pdf) ; those amplimos are used in recent Elector project with 6AS7

comments... ?

Attachments

• 3a524s.pdf
    73.4 KB · Views: 229
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
lookie lookie

Santa is here earlier this year ;)

Attachments

• allw.jpg
    allw.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 595
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.