Testing tube for noise - diyAudio
Go Back   Home > Forums > Amplifiers > Tubes / Valves

Tubes / Valves All about our sweet vacuum tubes :) Threads about Musical Instrument Amps of all kinds should be in the Instruments & Amps forum

Please consider donating to help us continue to serve you.

Ads on/off / Custom Title / More PMs / More album space / Advanced printing & mass image saving

Old 7th November 2007, 09:32 AM   #1
diyAudio Member

Default Testing tube for noise

Hi!

I need some EF83 (or EF86) for my tube preamp. When i bought this small pentodes before, i noticed that some of them were very noisy and needed some testing.
This time i found another seller who offers testing so i will ask him to test noise (and maybe microphonics) for me.

I would like to know more about how this test; how it is done, can it be done with the tube tester etc...
Old 7th November 2007, 10:01 AM   #2
diyAudio Member

Hi,

The noise test is done by taking a sample from the anode load resistor (or CCS) and amplifing the output to a speaker (or eye tube).

Some testers have settings for this test that more resemble actual operating conditions, rather than "full throttle current" as typically done for life-test.

That simple

Cheers!
Old 7th November 2007, 10:10 AM   #3
diyAudio Member

Thanks. I expected simple procedure.

But what are the "values" of noise for this kind of tubes? Datasheet for EF86 only tells noise voltage at certain frequencys...Should i ask him to simply send me tubes that showed lowest noise?

Cheers!
Old 7th November 2007, 10:40 AM   #4
diyAudio Member

with a simple amplifier setup and an RMS voltmeter measure the A.C. output with the input open and shorted -- calculate the ratio take its logarithm multiply by 20 etc. gives you the voltage signal to noise ratio in dB.

Good discussion of tube noise here:
http://www.john-a-harper.com/tubes201/#Noise

if you were doing this commercially you would probably want to bandwidth limit the measurement -- say from 22 Hz to 22kHz -- or ITU-CCIR486-ARM or A Weight the measurement. Beyond the scope of this discussion.
Old 7th November 2007, 12:13 PM   #5
diyAudio Member

Hi rotation,

Here is a Link to a DIY tube microphonics tester, in German language, though.

Regards, Tom

Hide this!Advertise here!